Broken fire brick

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pat1969

Jan 6, 2019
I noticed while putting wood into my fireplace insert that one of the fire bricks on the side broke loose and half of it was sitting in the bed of coals, is this safe to continue burning or should I shut it down and replace it right away???

You need to replace it but no need to shut down this second. Get the brick and get it replaced this week.

Reactions: Dix and Pat1969
I burned half a season with half a brick last year, wasnt an issue. I replaced it over the summer. Worst part was the replacement brick was bigger that the stove brick, so i had to cut it to fit which wasnt fun.

Reactions: Pat1969
I noticed while putting wood into my fireplace insert that one of the fire bricks on the side broke loose and half of it was sitting in the bed of coals, is this safe to continue burning or should I shut it down and replace it right away???
What stove is it?

On my insert, most of the bricks are the same. I'd just swap the broken vertical one with one laying horizontal on the bottom, fitting the broken one together like puzzle pieces on the stove floor. Ash will fill in the gaps after one fire and you're back in business without a trip to the brick store.

Reactions: Ludlow
What stove is it?

On my insert, most of the bricks are the same. I'd just swap the broken vertical one with one laying horizontal on the bottom, fitting the broken one together like puzzle pieces on the stove floor. Ash will fill in the gaps after one fire and you're back in business without a trip to the brick store.
The problem is getting a floor brick up in one peice is not very easy many times