Brush for cleaning blower ledge.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Ash regularly spills on to the blower ledge. It gets down into a crack between the front of the stove and the ledge.

I've been using a paint brush to clean the ledge, but it slowly burns away as it touches the stove front.

Is there a better way? I'd rather just keep the ash out, but haven't figured that out yet, either.

Ash regularly spills on to the blower ledge. It gets down into a crack between the front of the stove and the ledge.

I've been using a paint brush to clean the ledge, but it slowly burns away as it touches the stove front.

Is there a better way? I'd rather just keep the ash out, but haven't figured that out yet, either.
Can you provide two photos, one from a couple feet away showing the whole stove and one close up?

Can you provide two photos, one from a couple feet away showing the whole stove and one close up?
IMG_20180102_183928868.jpg

IMG_20180102_183917220.jpg

IMG_20180102_183905435.jpg

For you, VI, absolutely.

Reactions: VirginiaIron
ED3000- I'm sorry for the photo request. For the life of me I couldn't see how ash was getting close to the blower, with high temps. I checked your profile and didn't see anything helpful. My blower is on the rear of the stove. Thanks for understanding.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Definitely want to keep all that ash out of the fans. I open slow as mentioned. If ash is against the door and going to dump out I shut the fans before opening the door. I also keep a small Black and Decker cordless vac handy. The ash is so light I don't really have to touch it to the surface just pass over it. The hard plastic tip is holding up fine.

ED3000- I'm sorry for the photo request. For the life of me I couldn't see how ash was getting close to the blower, with high temps. I checked your profile and didn't see anything helpful. My blower is on the rear of the stove. Thanks for understanding.
I knew I should have posted pics with the original post, just was a little lazy. I am starting to get the hang of this phone, finally.

Thank you for your response, I appreciate the help!

Reactions: VirginiaIron
Definitely want to keep all that ash out of the fans. I open slow as mentioned. If ash is against the door and going to dump out I shut the fans before opening the door. I also keep a small Black and Decker cordless vac handy. The ash is so light I don't really have to touch it to the surface just pass over it. The hard plastic tip is holding up fine.
I open slowly as well, but still lose some, sometimes. Do always turn the fan off first.

Mostly out of stubbornness, the stove advertised 16" N/S, so I cut a bunch to 16". That puts the end of the split sitting on the inside shelf when loaded. I now cut to 15 1/2". Happens less at that length.

Love the cordless vac idea. Been contemplating that for some time.

Good idea. I think my stove takes 21 inch splits but I cut to 19 to allow for coals on the back wall and the split always fits the chamber.

To give you an idea of what type of clearance we have from the front of the chamber.
1514945203100394746396.jpg

I shut the blower off, crack the door open and give it a little jiggle before opening it all the way. Then use my ash shovel to clean the ash lip. I also use a cordless hand vac on the hearth around the blower.

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000