BTU's on JOTUL vs BK.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The stove is a focal point in our living room. It has to look good in the summer as well as when it's heating. The Ashford in enamel is a remote maybe.

Can you please tell that to my Sirocco? The glass right now is getting pretty dark! ; lol (I know it's my wood :))
Your sooooo funny!

The stove is a focal point in our living room. It has to look good in the summer as well as when it's heating. The Ashford in enamel is a remote maybe.
I think I can convince my wife on the ugly one haha! She's easy.

That will be a major change from the Oslo for sure. By all accounts it's a great stove. Just not a good fit for our house.

I think I need to clarify something....I get about 3 hours at a good burn temp of around 400 to 700 degrees. A guy from Blaze King said he'd love to sell me a stove...but he thought maybe I was burning to wet of wood. He said he'd get me a princess for 2000.00

Uh, you got a quote of $2000.00 for a Princess? What is the name of that stove shop and where do I send my money?

Uh, you got a quote of $2000.00 for a Princess? What is the name of that stove shop and where do I send my money?
Yes...but I gotta pick it up...it costs extra depending on the door...which that's probably 179 or higher. Why...what do these usually retail at new?

That will be a major change from the Oslo for sure. By all accounts it's a great stove. Just not a good fit for our house.
Looks wise...yes...but I've never been one to concern myself about looks...I'm a quality freak and a functional freak. If you think the princess is a great stove...and I do respect your opinion...I'm doing it!

My house was built in 1860. I gutted it and foamed the walls with Icynene.it also has all new Marvin windows. The wood that I burn was cut in the late 70's (a long story). We were up there in January, when the overnight temps were -20*. The high was near zero each day. I can't say if the drier wood burned longer, but even in those cold temps we could only put a couple of splits in at a time or we would roast. I loaded the stove each night to about 80% full and had 6" of coals 8 hours later. I don't want to tell you that the Jotul is the best there is, because I don't know. I like the look, and it works for us. You absolutely need an ash rake to keep the ashes out of the firebox or they will build up and spill out the door. If the new stove calls to you, I say do it. The Jotul has a good resale value and, in a house like mine, work quite well.
I would have assumed that wood cut in the 70s would have been powder!

Yes...but I gotta pick it up...it costs extra depending on the door...which that's probably 179 or higher. Why...what do these usually retail at new?
Retails for $2500 including the pedestal and the door. This price will increase the further east you go.

When we raised the house we had a lot of original sill plate that was raw cut, 8x8" virgin doug fir, from the 1920s. It was in great shape and made very good firewood.

Never spent a night outside in all of that time. Red Oak I bought from a guy who stopped burning around 1979. He told me he cut it all with an electric chainsaw! I moved it all from his barn. Been in my shed for around 10 years, and I'm finally seeing the end of it. I will say it's picked up a fair bit of dust over the years. I never bought wood before, but I needed to move all of my wood for a construction project. I think I sold mine for $150/cord and paid him $75/cord. I restored Victorian homes built in the 1860's-1880's and burned tons of White Pine lumber that old. Lumber never went into the dumpster, even lathe.

Reactions: neumsky
I would want to ensure an adequate supply of wood before switching up stoves. You may have poor performance switching to a BK if you have an inadequate wood supply.

Your stove is 2.5cuft. I know all setups are different, but my testy, pain in the behind, VC encore gets 6 hours at its worst with a full firebox (2.3cuft), and that is even with a partly crapped out Catalyst (waiting for spring so i can send it in under warranty....its still firing, just not nearly as well). Now that it is back to negative 0 temperatures I get about 6 hours a load. When it is above 15-20 degrees I can easily get 8-10 hour loads.

Oak is great, but 9 months is not enough. If you can pick the wood you get go for ash for the next few years. 9 months might be just enough to season it "ok". I have been stock piling oak for almost 2 years now and still am not burning much of it..because it just doesn't burn well even at 18 months now. The ash I order burns very well 8-10 months out even though it also isn't completely seasoned.

I have been having trouble getting caught up enough on wood these past two years.

But again, if your wood is the issue, a new stove is probably not the solution.

Reactions: webby3650

I spent the extra $600 for the enamel and nickel legs and nickel sunburst door for the same reason. If I have to look at it every day for 20+ years I want it to look good. If they'd offered the T5 with an enamel finish I probably would have popped for it.

Begreen...you've been around awhile....how come you haven't purchased one of these infamous BKs? It's kinda like BMW motorcycles...we have but one support store in the state of Oklahoma? I wouldn't give a plug nickel for one anymore.
lol

I have a BMW 1200LT.

Retails for $2500 including the pedestal and the door. This price will increase the further east you go.
Ok...so this is right in the ball park!

lol

I have a BMW 1200LT.
I did to. I had...a CL...2 RTs...an LT and a GT. No more! Haha. Our son still has a K1300S. As I was saying...unlike a motorcycle....it probably won't need service.

I would want to ensure an adequate supply of wood before switching up stoves. You may have poor performance switching to a BK if you have an inadequate wood supply.

Your stove is 2.5cuft. I know all setups are different, but my testy, pain in the behind, VC encore gets 6 hours at its worst with a full firebox (2.3cuft), and that is even with a partly crapped out Catalyst (waiting for spring so i can send it in under warranty....its still firing, just not nearly as well). Now that it is back to negative 0 temperatures I get about 6 hours a load. When it is above 15-20 degrees I can easily get 8-10 hour loads.

Oak is great, but 9 months is not enough. If you can pick the wood you get go for ash for the next few years. 9 months might be just enough to season it "ok". I have been stock piling oak for almost 2 years now and still am not burning much of it..because it just doesn't burn well even at 18 months now. The ash I order burns very well 8-10 months out even though it also isn't completely seasoned.

I have been having trouble getting caught up enough on wood these past two years.

But again, if your wood is the issue, a new stove is probably not the solution.
Definitely...it's not like I have all this money either... You know...been around wood fireplaces all my life...but till you own one...didn't realize how uneducated I was. Of course...most of those we're fireplaces!

I'd be the first to say...the princess is ugly....as a matter a fact....I have in the past....so...it is a very difficult decision. Kinda like the vets come out every year...and don't like them...but they start to grow on you? Anyone with BKs start to like the looks of them?

Definitely...it's not like I have all this money either... You know...been around wood fireplaces all my life...but till you own one...didn't realize how uneducated I was. Of course...most of those we're fireplaces!
I think you should save your money and, since you are in Hedge country, buy a couple of years worth of splits. It will make your stove sing. Stoves are all somewhat like infants, messy and always hungry. Trading yours away for another won't change this basic fact.

Reactions: jotulguy
'Ugly' really depends upon your taste and what the house design is like. I've got a very modern clean design for the house and the BK line with pedestal would look great. My present VC looks out of place.

Ok...season #2 on JOTUL 500. Tired of filling up with wood every 3-4 hours to keep temp up and ashes always coming out. Love the stove as it is aesthetically pleasing...and the stove is perfect for the size output of the house. 2200 sq ft. I'm hearing all the bragging about the long burns the BK's give so it's got my interest. My questions are...why the high BTU's input/output on the BK's?(400+thousand) vs. 70 thousand on the JOTUL? Will this be too much stove for my house than? And...what size would I consider? I love the glass size on the JOTUL...and if I have to run the BK on low all the time...will the glass be forever dirty?

I think that the BK is a cat the Jotul is not, if so that's like apples to oranges.

I'd be the first to say...the princess is ugly....as a matter a fact....I have in the past....so...it is a very difficult decision. Kinda like the vets come out every year...and don't like them...but they start to grow on you? Anyone with BKs start to like the looks of them?
After your first 24 hour burn they start to look beautiful!

I think you should save your money and, since you are in Hedge country, buy a couple of years worth of splits. It will make your stove sing. Stoves are all somewhat like infants, messy and always hungry. Trading yours away for another won't change this basic fact.
I appreciate that input....definitely worth trying some older wood first. Thank You!

Status
Not open for further replies.