Buck slammer 30 years. Liner question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rox3406

Burning Hunk
Nov 5, 2017
New Jersey
Inherited my grandfathers house. Buck slammer for at least 30 years I know of. I know. Liner needed will do. Can't replace stove this year no funds primary heat source. Can I do a 6 inch liner with this buck. So I can buy a new stove next year or does she really need the 8 ?

Inherited my grandfathers house. Buck slammer for at least 30 years I know of. I know. Liner needed will do. Can't replace stove this year no funds primary heat source. Can I do a 6 inch liner with this buck. So I can buy a new stove next year or does she really need the 8 ?
Yes it needs 8"

And get ready for it to be a whole new animal to burn after the liner is installed. I put one on my 1985 slammer years ago and that puppy wanted to take off and run with the increased draft. Whole new learning curve.

Yes it needs 8"
Yes it needs 8"
Well I guess slammer it is for one mor season. I'll say as wrong as the slammer is I think grandfather did it as right as one could. He has small wheels under the buck we would wheel it out every year. Brush the heck out of the 12 inch flue clean the rear put new insulation on the trim and reinstall

Oh how my poor old back remembers doing that every year. <>

Oh how my poor old back remembers doing that every year. <>
I so hate to replace her. She heated this house forever. But with a baby on the way I just can't run the slammer and sleep at night. This will be her last season then a new stove. I will give her a proper place in the shop as a free stander so she will live on

Random question. If I did an insulated 8. I have an external chimney could I slip a 6 inside of it at a later date? That would give me a few years left on the buck and more time to make a good decision on her replacement. Is that feasible?

Random question. If I did an insulated 8. I have an external chimney could I slip a 6 inside of it at a later date? That would give me a few years left on the buck and more time to make a good decision on her replacement. Is that feasible?
Yes that would work fine

You might be able to run the 6" flue stove on the 8" insulated liner. Not ideal but within tolerance. How tall is the chimney?

That's the new plan. 8 inch insulated liner for now. Slip a 6 inside of it when I upgrade thanks.

I would try the new stove on the eight inch if it is a tall chimney. The stoves are designed and tested with 15-16 foot pipes. If you have a two story house and typical 20+ foot chimney the eight might just be the ticket for the new stove. Before I dinked around with air intakes my new stove on a 21' liner was like trying to throw a saddle on a running horse.

Reactions: begreen
I would try the new stove on the eight inch if it is a tall chimney
That was my thought if this is a 2 story chimney. If there's room for a 6" to 8" increaser before the liner connection then it's worth a try it like that. Worst case scenario if the performance is suboptimal then you clean the 8" liner then drop a 6" liner down it.

That was my thought if this is a 2 story chimney. If there's room for a 6" to 8" increaser before the liner connection then it's worth a try it like that. Worst case scenario if the performance is suboptimal then you clean the 8" liner then drop a 6" liner down it.
I've got all the room in the world. I'm going to run the buck with an 8 till I get a new insert. Then thread a 6 into it. Thanks for the input

Thanks guys. That sounds like a good plan. I'll give it a try
I run a 28000 buck, I'm in Bedminster Somerset cty. Where are you?

I'm in New Jersey. Went with a 6 inch insulated liner. She runs awesome on it. I know the world says she needs an 8. But I can't get her to smoke inside. ripping fire doors open. Runs slow and low doors closed.

I'm in New Jersey. Went with a 6 inch insulated liner. She runs awesome on it. I know the world says she needs an 8. But I can't get her to smoke inside. ripping fire doors open. Runs slow and low doors closed.
What town are you in?