Repoint and need new chase cover

  • Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

    We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

    We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Ctwoodtick

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Jun 5, 2015
2,501
Southeast CT; NW Maine
I’m looking to repoint and get a new Chase cover for his chimney. Looking for thoughts on how much a stainless chase cover would be for it. Two flu set up one flu from my 6 inch chimney liner and the other for the 8 in.² clay that goes to the basement.
I also know the chimney is in need of repointing . I want to put up some pictures to get thoughts on if this might be able to wait a year or if it looks like it needs it sooner than that.
Also, I wanted people‘s opinion on if repointing is a reasonable DIY project. I’ve never done it before, but enjoy learning how to do new things and how to do those things well and correct. That said, I’m also wondering if the new stainless cover is also a reasonable DIY project.
 

Attachments

  • [Hearth.com] Repoint and need new chase cover
    IMG_6946.webp
    832.1 KB · Views: 54
  • [Hearth.com] Repoint and need new chase cover
    IMG_6947.webp
    724.4 KB · Views: 47
  • [Hearth.com] Repoint and need new chase cover
    IMG_6950.webp
    803.6 KB · Views: 41
  • [Hearth.com] Repoint and need new chase cover
    IMG_6949.webp
    677.2 KB · Views: 40
  • [Hearth.com] Repoint and need new chase cover
    IMG_6948.webp
    615.3 KB · Views: 40
I wanted to add to my posts with a couple of pictures. This is of the back of the chimney that is located in the garage. The two blocks that are near the rafter look to have a spot on each. I’m wondering if this is a sign of moisture getting inside chimney/a.k.a. time to re-point immediately. I actually have a picture of this part of the chimney from nine years ago and the spots were not present.
For reference, I know that there is a darker spot as well to the right of these two blocks, but that is staining from an old flashing problem that we inherited when we first bought the house and has been fixed at this point.
 

Attachments

  • [Hearth.com] Repoint and need new chase cover
    IMG_6960.webp
    384.3 KB · Views: 42
  • [Hearth.com] Repoint and need new chase cover
    IMG_6961.webp
    509 KB · Views: 44
It the tarred "Z" on the exterior face of the chimney on the same side as the darkening showing on the cinderblock in the garage?
 
It the tarred "Z" on the exterior face of the chimney on the same side as the darkening showing on the cinderblock in the garage?
I’m not sure what you mean about the tarred “Z”. Im adding the pic of the exterior side of chimney that corresponds to the back side of chimney in the garage down below. I had put some silicone on some hairline crack in the current crown, but not sure that’s relevant to what you mean.
 
Ok, I think I know what you mean about the tarred “z” now. That was from an old flashing job. Had chimney reflashed about 4 or 5 years ago and no noticeable leaking in garage since then. That “z” is on the opposite side of chimney from the spots I noticed in garage.
 
Ok, I think I know what you mean about the tarred “z” now. That was from an old flashing job. Had chimney reflashed about 4 or 5 years ago and no noticeable leaking in garage since then. That “z” is on the opposite side of chimney from the spots I noticed in garage.
Got it, that's what it looked like. This may still be a flashing issue. Do you have a picture of the opposite and upper sides of the chimney where it shows the flashing?
 
  • Like
Reactions: bigealta
Thanks for the response! I’ll have to take some better pictures of the flashing later this afternoon and post them to this thread.
 
OK, got up on the garage and took some better pictures of the flashing. I’m not sure if it’s in the picture, but when the chimney was flashed, the person put a “cricket“ in the trouble spot on the roof so that that part of the roof could shed water better.
I’m no pro on how the flashing is as far as quality, but I do know that the obvious leaking that I could see prior to the flashing job as I can see from inside the garage had stopped after the flashing job.
I do know that I’m definitely getting to be due for a new chimney crown and probably repointing of at least some areas of the exterior part of chimney.. was curious if people could give me an idea of how immediate this should get taken care of. I’d like to go with a stainless chimney crown because I suspect that would be a lot less expensive than a poured concrete one done properly. I’m also wondering how much of this I could do on my own. I’ve never done masonry work to be totally honest, but I’ve seen some videos and I’m not afraid to learn new things. ImJust not sure if I’m totally getting in over my head if I were to try to refresh most of the exterior of the chimney on my own. Thanks for any input you might have.
 

Attachments

  • [Hearth.com] Repoint and need new chase cover
    IMG_6967.webp
    813.8 KB · Views: 30
  • [Hearth.com] Repoint and need new chase cover
    IMG_6966.webp
    779.3 KB · Views: 34
  • [Hearth.com] Repoint and need new chase cover
    IMG_6965.webp
    885.2 KB · Views: 27
  • [Hearth.com] Repoint and need new chase cover
    IMG_6964.webp
    750.7 KB · Views: 36
That flashing job is amateur at best. Step flash/counter flash is the standard and they didn’t get any of that right. You can see the previous location of the counter flashing, it’s the zig zag of roof tar.. 🤦🏻‍♂️
 
  • Like
Reactions: bigealta
That flashing job is amateur at best. Step flash/counter flash is the standard and they didn’t get any of that right. You can see the previous location of the counter flashing, it’s the zig zag of roof tar.. 🤦🏻‍♂️
Ok thanks for the input. Next heavy rain we get, I will see if there is any noticeable leaking. I have the advantage of being able to see all 4 side of chimney from the garage area ( small loft space gives a small view of the chimney-enough to see if there was a leak.
 
Last edited:
Aside from the flashing being sub-par, I was curious about stainless chase covers to accommodate my wood insert and 8 inch square clay line that not in use). Is this a reasonable DIY project ( easy access to chimney from garage) or is it tricky enough that a pro should be hired? Thanks
 
That flashing job is amateur at best. Step flash/counter flash is the standard and they didn’t get any of that right. You can see the previous location of the counter flashing, it’s the zig zag of roof tar.. 🤦🏻‍♂️
OK, we got the very heavy rain today that I was looking for to see if there’s any noticeable leaking around the roof line from the chimney. In spite of the heavy rain this morning, things look to be dry as a bone, so perhaps the flashing job stinks, but is effective at least for the time being.
 
Enough caulk will seal up anything 🤣 but hey good news for you! We did get about 4” in a short amount of time here as well. Not the driving type of rain though, hopefully that doesn’t screw with your conclusion.
 
Enough caulk will seal up anything 🤣 but hey good news for you! We did get about 4” in a short amount of time here as well. Not the driving type of rain though, hopefully that doesn’t screw with your conclusion.
I hear you, mostly a straight up and down rain. I keep an eye on it