Buck Stove Big Buck 28000 questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Pele

Jan 26, 2012
Virginia
I've got a house that was built in 1973. I assume the wood stove was put in originally when the house was built, making it the same age...

I've read about safety issues with "slammer" installs where these are put inside a fireplace without a liner.
There is no masonry fireplace. It's a freestanding unit piped into a terracotta lined chimney.
Is there a safety issue with this setup?

Inside the unit, there's what appears to be a concrete floor and freestanding on that is a grate where I put my logs. I'd like to fit more wood inside for an all-night burn. Can I place wood raw dog on the concrete floor or is the grate/rack necessary?

I'm still playing with flue and damper settings, as the chimney was swept out and inspected on the 19th of December. Longest I've gotten out of it is 6 hours.

I can’t say anything about the flue. But I burn my buck raw dog right on the floor no grate. Makes a huge difference