Buck Stove model 21

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hokypuk

Apr 12, 2022
Vt
Hi,
I went from asking about burner covers to buying a new wood stove. I appreciate everyone’s help and I’ve learned a lot. I’ve decided on a Buck model 21. Do any of you have one now? What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
Sue

It's a solid and well-built little stove that should last a long time. Firebox dimensions are roughly the same as the Lopi Answer. The only complaints that I can recall for it were that the door handle screw would work loose and that it was too small for one installation. The handle screw, if it loosens, can be fixed with some Loctite on the screw threads. They may be doing this at the factory now. Mis-sizing is not the stove's fault.

Just a suggestion, the less expensive Drolet Escape 1500 would also work. The firebox is a bit larger, but it doesn't need to be filled full for most fires, however, it would have more reserve for very cold nights. A PE Super would also be a good stove here.

Reactions: VintageGal
Just a suggestion, the less expensive Drolet Escape 1500 would also work. The firebox is a bit larger, but it doesn't need to be filled full for most fires, however, it would have more reserve for very cold nights. A PE Super would also be a good stove here.
Thank you, I prefer legs. The PE has a weird top that I can’t put a pot of soup on.

Thank you, I prefer legs. The PE has a weird top that I can’t put a pot of soup on.
That would be the fancier PE Alderlea T5. It has the same firebox. The swing-away trivets are great for cooking at all different temperatures. There is also a value version called the True North TN20. All have a square firebox for N/S or E/W loading.

That would be the fancier PE Alderlea T5. It has the same firebox. The swing-away trivets are great for cooking at all different temperatures. There is also a value version called the True North TN20. All have a square firebox for N/S or E/W loading.

I’m looking for a longer width..
Why? A shallow, but wide stove is going to hold less wood. There is always the concern that the wood will roll against the glass if loaded too full. This is not an issue when loading N/S.

Why? A shallow, but wide stove is going to hold less wood. There is always the concern that the wood will roll against the glass if loaded too full. This is not an issue when loading N/S.
Space constraints dictates wider E/W. Did I get the lingo right? 🤨

Reactions: VintageGal
Space constraints dictates wider E/W. Did I get the lingo right? 🤨
The new stove should be able to sit closer to the wall than the current setup. Look at clearances.

I like the look of a wide stove rather than a long one.
One has to decide if the stove is for show or for go at some point. If the stove is being used for 24/7 heat then one that burns for a longer time would be my preference, but that may not be the case here. The Jotul F400 is no longer sold in America, but it would have fit this requirement. If you can find one in excellent condition then I think you would be happy with it.

One has to decide if the stove is for show or for go at some point. If the stove is being used for 24/7 heat then one that burns for a longer time would be my preference, but that may not be the case here. The Jotul F400 is no longer sold in America, but it would have fit this requirement. If you can find one in excellent condition then I think you would be happy with it.
I did find this one but it’s a 2004…. $1400. Thoughts please?

49D19861-8E8D-4019-9A9A-A71CA5DD9F49.png 8CEC1459-AB13-43C1-AD0A-20DC4EC4C1CA.png

That is the stove. It looks like it might be one in blue-black enamel which is a beautiful finish. Unfortunately, there is no way we can tell the condition from these pictures. At almost 20 yrs old it may be due for a rebuild depending on how much usage it has seen. Or, if it was just used occasionally then it may be ok. The price is too high unless it is like new inside. They are asking about what it sold for new in 2004.

Thank you. I’ve decided to stop trying to cheap out and get a Hearthstone Castleton. I didn’t want to spend that kind of money, but it’s beautiful. Unless there are reasons I shouldn’t…. Hopefully this will be the last time inquiring about replacing my stove….

Thank you. I’ve decided to stop trying to cheap out and get a Hearthstone Castleton. I didn’t want to spend that kind of money, but it’s beautiful. Unless there are reasons I shouldn’t…. Hopefully this will be the last time inquiring about replacing my stove….
It is beautiful and I wish I could recommend it, but the new hybrid Hearthstones are still working out some issues.

Maybe a Woodstock Palladian or Keystone?

I did find this one but it’s a 2004…. $1400. Thoughts please?

View attachment 295077 View attachment 295078
As an F400 enamel ivory owner that price might be high but. What’s 600$ Overpriced compared to a new stove if it’s good shape. I drove 3 hours to look at one only to find it was left on the rain an needed repainted and he wouldn’t budge on the 1000$ price so I passed. Go look at it and see if it’s in good shape.

It’s not an all night burning stove and there have been times when I could only reload with two wires shaped but not huge splits. It fit my space really well and I’m happy with it. It’s a well built and serviceable stove but you might be buying a project. I’m kinda kicking myself for not and painting it blue but… last think need is another project to lay around half finished. I went with a Drolet.

Just my thoughts.

As an F400 enamel ivory owner that price might be high but. What’s 600$ Overpriced compared to a new stove if it’s good shape. I drove 3 hours to look at one only to find it was left on the rain an needed repainted and he wouldn’t budge on the 1000$ price so I passed. Go look at it and see if it’s in good shape.

It’s not an all night burning stove and there have been times when I could only reload with two wires shaped but not huge splits. It fit my space really well and I’m happy with it. It’s a well built and serviceable stove but you might be buying a project. I’m kinda kicking myself for not and painting it blue but… last think need is another project to lay around half finished. I went with a Drolet.

Just my thoughts.
Thank you, I’ve decided on a new one and not a hybrid. Any thoughts on the Timberwolf 2100 please?