Bugs in Wood Pile... OK?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 5, 2007
South Coast, MA
I've tried searching for a post on this but couldn't find any.

My question is about those bugs that look like mini armadillos. They're about a 1/2" long or so and have what looks like a back of armor on them, similar to the Armadillo. I found a ton of them living on the wood in the bottom of one of my piles. They don't appear to be eating the wood at all, at least not that I can see. So I was wondering should I try to rid them from my pile or can I leave them be?

Thanks

Leave`em, just don`t eat`em until fully cooked :lol:

When in my younger days we called then sow bugs. They would roll up into a ball and you could shoot them out of a pea shooter. They made a nice splat on a wall. The big ones you could use a sling shot.
Don

My son calls them rolie polies. I found a bucket of dead ones in the garage he caught. I asked he about them and he said they were
his friends.

I have a few dead friends too...but I don't keep 'em in a bucket in the garage. :shut: Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.