bugs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

relax

i cut some live elm this spring, went to cut it up this fall and its peppered with holes and under the bark is full of the worms .suppose the duch elm bug..so i removed most of the bark and worms but some remain..can i cover this pile early next spring with a tarp and let a few bug bombs in the cans go off under the tarp to kill the ones that make it throu the winter..dont want any more in my trees...

Was it split and stacked?
Was it off the ground?
Was it covered completely, just the top, or uncovered?

they were live trees ,i cut them and left them whole lying on the ground 6 months ,when i dropped them they were not infested ,when i cut and split them they were full of the worms and the bark is full of the holes where the bugs ate there way in.. trees came from about 10 miles from my farm..must of the bark has fallen off ,but some still remain and i would like to kill the little #$&^&& so my trees dont get them..

I am not sure, but I think the bugs infesting cut trees would probably not be the same ones that attack live trees and spread dutch elm disease. I wouldn't bother with the bug bombs, since it will be tough to kill bugs inside tunnels in the wood. The pesticides won't effectively get inside the wood and under the bark. Besides, I think the bugs will leave on their own anyway.

I read this thread last night before going to bed and I was leaning towards WD's opinion but didn't answer. I looked into one of my tree guides this morning and it confirmed some of this. Dead wood standing and felled trees are going to attract different bugs that may have contributed to killing the tree while alive.
Now if the scenario was different with the seasons being a contributing factor, if the trees had been cut and dropped in the fall and sat for the entire winter you may have saved them from the bugs for the spring bucking and splitting. IMO

They likely won't survive as the wood continues to dry and the bark falls off all Winter.
They should slowly die.
They would have had a much higher survival rate if the logs had not been cut up into pieces as this would have provided them with the damp ( and no live tree defenses) environment they need.

It's the fungus the elm bark beetles can carry from tree to tree that is the disease.
You can (theoretically ) transfer it from tree to tree too with your saw if you prune branches with the same saw. I've heard of some people cleaning their bars and chains with bleach, just to be safe.

You might want to debark any left over elm next April or May.
( if the bark and beetles haven.t already dried up and fallen off.)

You might not find any.( especially if you have no wood left)
You might not even have elm bark beetles.
Probably better to assume you do or find some good pics of the two or three kinds to identify what you have or don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.