Build my own blower?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Redfish

Nov 15, 2008
Western Washington
Has anyone built a blower for their insert. I’ve a Lopi Revere and would like one but am a bit resistant to parting with $282 - the price that all of the dealers seem to want for one. It seems to me that it shouldn’t be rocket science – just a motor and two squirrel cage fans?
If you did build your own, may I inquire what motor and fans did you use and where did you find them.
Thanks,
Burning Madrona in Port Townsend

Greetings neighbor. I built one for an old Majestic insert. The blower was a transflow ordered from graingers. Then I fashioned a simple housing for the blower out of sheet metal. I used a Broan bath fan control for speed control and it worked quite well.

I built mine from the fan in an old electric space heater that wouldn't heat. I built a very simple housing with rubber feet to absorb vibration. It's been running for about 10 years, including it's life as a heater. I intend to install a dimmer for variable speeds when I get a free one, but it's not loud running straight from the outlet so I'm in no hurry. My total cost so far has been $2 for a switch on the cord.

Grainger, as was mentioned, and also McMaster-Carr (my personal favorite) have fans closer to the Lopi design.

Perhaps you could build one out of cedar strips, fiberglass and epoxy. Some nice mother of pearl inlay. It would be nice.... Sure nobody would ever see it, but its all about the craftsmanship.

hee hee

Rob

Yes I have & I still have the blowers ( grangers ).
I you are interested in them drop me a pm.
doug

I don't know about building one from scratch...ie 'some' motor with 'some other' squirrel cage in a hand made housing. You'd probably have to do a bit of work to find a motor/cage combo that somewhat match. You can't expect a 1/12 hp motor to run a 12" dia cage at 2000 rpm. But it's pretty common to bolt a utility blower to an insert. I've got a 12" computer rack cooling fan bolted to the back of mine. Used some glass rope door gasket material as a vibration insulator/heat barrier. Works great, moves a lot of air and relatively quiet.

Status
Not open for further replies.