build up thin layer over asphalt driveway

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

iron

Minister of Fire
Sep 23, 2015
southeast kootenays
i just installed a new catch basin in my driveway. because of the prefab'd nature of the new catch basin vs the old, custom one, it sits proud of the surface of my driveway by 1/8-1/4". i did what i could to get it down, but that was as far as it would go.

my driveway now pools water just a little bit before it drops into the catch basin. i'm wondering if i can add a thinset or leveling product on top of the asphalt and not have it get destroyed in a year. i would coat over it with asphalt resurfacer to hopefully kind of glue it together, but i don't think that'll be enough. it just seems too brittle. maybe an epoxy floor material?

any thoughts?

You can cut that section out with a wet saw remove it to base, then patch the new run off slope as all one piece. Then tar over it all.

Try harder to cut down the rim elevation. I’ve ground over 1/2” of concrete out of a door opening. Just a regular 4” disc grinder for 8$ from harbor freight plus a decent cup bit. It’s dusty.

the catch basin is HDPE and has an interior lip that the grating sits on. grinding that out would be a nightmare. maybe a router with a bushing and a guide, but that's a PITA i'm sure.

Can you cut the pipe knockout taller towards the grate or is this one of those little drains with precast snouts for the pipe? If so, can you dig back along the pipe and lower it? Just deflect it to get a few hundredths.

Can you cut the pipe knockout taller towards the grate or is this one of those little drains with precast snouts for the pipe? If so, can you dig back along the pipe and lower it? Just deflect it to get a few hundredths.
too late for that. it's already placed in concrete. i had thought of that, but didn't want to undermine the other asphalt and then create different issues down the road. but, yeah, i probably should've taken this approach.

Landscape supply companies should carry a product you can mix. It's for patches in asphalt. Comes in 50lb bags I believe. I have used them when putting in retaining walls where we've needed to cut the asphalt because of old walls. I'll try to find the product name.