Building a brick hearth on wood floor

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

tangerinecream

Nov 29, 2022
New England
Hi All, I'm currently in the process of swapping out a propane unit with a woodstove (Jotul Firelight CB). I'm looking to build a brick hearth with a wood mantel and while researching how to do so I have some questions about how I should put the brick down on the wood floor.

It seems that when it comes to the wall I will need to cut out the drywall section that will have brick and replace it with cement board so that it is flush with the drywall and then put the brick over that.

How do I lay the brick on the wood floor? Should I screw cement board into the floor and then lay the brick on top of that? I assume I can't just lay the brick right over the wood floor.

I've heard of people doing a 2x4 frame with cement board and brick over it but that seems like it would produce a higher hearth than I was hoping for, suggestions?

Screenshot_20221129-192628_Gallery.jpg

What are the hearth requirements of the stove?

Btw I would do some serious research about that stove before committing to using it. They really are not very good stoves

Reactions: Ashful
The floor protector just needs to be non-combustible with no gaps. Put the bricks on cement board and maybe create a perimeter frame from 2x3s.

What type of chimney will the stove be connecting to? What is the ID?

What are the hearth requirements of the stove?

Btw I would do some serious research about that stove before committing to using it. They really are not very good stoves
The manual doesn't seem to really mention specifics. Just that it needs to be on a non-combustible and then the general clearances on the front and sides at 18" which is what were planning on at minimum. Regarding the stove itself, it's what we have for now, we're hoping to get a few years out of this and then upgrade when we can.

The manual doesn't seem to really mention specifics. Just that it needs to be on a non-combustible and then the general clearances on the front and sides at 18" which is what were planning on at minimum. Regarding the stove itself, it's what we have for now, we're hoping to get a few years out of this and then upgrade when we can.
Have the internals been rebuilt yet? If it just says non-combustible that means ember protection only. So no insulation value needed

The floor protector just needs to be non-combustible with no gaps. Put it on cement board and maybe create a perimeter frame from 2x3s.

What type of chimney will the stove be connecting to? What is the ID?
Chimney is a basic single flue block chimney with flue being 6.5x6.5 on the inside.

Chimney is a basic single flue block chimney with flue being 6.5x6.5 on the inside.
Has that been inspected by a professional with a camera to verify it is safe to use?

Has that been inspected by a professional with a camera to verify it is safe to use?
I should have mentioned, the chimney is currently in the process of being built. My gf's dad is a mason so he is building the chimney for us, while we plan on doing the hearth due to his schedule. The previous gas unit was just piped right outside with an exhaust.

I should have mentioned, the chimney is currently in the process of being built. My gf's dad is a mason so he is building the chimney for us, while we plan on doing the hearth due to his schedule. The previous gas unit was just piped right outside with an exhaust.
Ahhh ok. Why not just put stainless in from the start in that case

My stove has a glass front like yours. I built a raised hearth and like the way it looks when we sit in that room with the fire burning. Someone asked me when I was debating the raised hearth if I place my TV on the floor or have it raised up? I framed and covered it with cement board then rocked it. On the walls I framed with metal lumber so there was an air space between the sheetrock and combustibles then covered with cement board and rock.

Hey bholler, that stove looks an awful lot like my misbehaving Firelight 12's. What's the diff between a Firelight CB and the 12?

If it's anything like the Firelight 12, I'd not bother installing it for anything other than an ambience stove. They're beautiful, and they can handle a few splits at a time without melting the combustor, but reliable heaters they are not.

He may want to help, but a proper metal chimney is going to work better because it's already insulated. Note that the wall will probably need to be opened up to fit a proper thimble. Wood stove flues are designed for much hotter temps than gas so the pass-through walls must be done safely regardless of whether a metal or masonry chimney is used.

Op. I did mine exactly how your thinking of doing yours. Cement board straight over wood floor then tiled over that and trimmed out with 1x4 and 1x6s. For wall I removed plaster. Cement boards attached to studs then tiled and trimmed

20221130_215452.jpg 20221130_215452.jpg 20221130_215732.jpg

Reactions: begreen
If looking for some real nice brick tiles, check out Inglenook Tile. We got ours there, looking for something that would look appropriately "old" for one of our 18th century fireplaces.

IMG_7185.JPG

Reactions: vernorz and Vg3200p