Building a new house, chimney or pipe?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got to think that at least one member here may have a Cape with a chimney coming up the front near the ridge vent . . . perhaps someone would post a pic of their set up so Sheeshe can get an idea of what their house may look like.

Sorry this is turning into a huge stress point for you.

As far as prices: I installed a 3-wall Duravent SS prefab last summer for about $1200 in parts for 15'. The stove pipe is Duravent DVL and I have about 7' of it for sub-$400.

With misc. parts and equipment rentals, my total install cost as a diy-er was about $2200. Which is $1300 cheaper than the install-only (no tear out or demo of the old prefab chimney) than the local stove place quoted me ($3500).

All of it came from homedepot.com. I can't recommend homedepot.com however as several pieces came dented, which pissed me off a lot. Cosmetic only, but still. Better shipping packaging required.

My custom framed, through the wall, T-supported Class-A chimney install took me 1 weekend to do with a small roofing job to go with it and that was working from a 51' articulating lift b/c my house is stupid tall.
(Thread here: https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/woodstock-progress-hybrid-install.129609/#post-1972643)

I think these installers are messing with you.

bgreen and bholler have most of the stove and chimney stuff covered...

The one thing I can tell you is to get your groan on with the builders. You want this done right and for a fair price. Builders are all about faster and cheaper. I know multiple people who paid a lot for custom homes just to end up unhappy b/c the builder basically did whatever they wanted while people weren't paying attention.

The install guides for these class-a prefab chimney kits are really good. Might be worth studying to get familiar. You talked about a Woodstock stove. I have one and the company is an excellent resource. Call and ask questions. Good people.

well, they're installing it tomorrow. I still don't know what the clearance for the ideal steel is, but hopefully I can call tomorrow morning?

Minimum clearances without wall shielding. There is no harm in exceeding these minimums.
From the back------------------ 14”
From the sides-------------------19”

For more details you can download the installation manual from Woodstock's website. Has the hearth already been built?

Minimum clearances without wall shielding. There is no harm in exceeding these minimums.
From the back------------------ 14”
From the sides-------------------19”

For more details you can download the installation manual from Woodstock's website. Has the hearth already been built?
thank you. It has not.. we are trying to figure out how to place it... the builder had already built frame where the chase would be, because he thought I was having a masonry chimney. plus there are two walls for where the chase would be, which is making it difficult to know what to do. I can see if I have a picture in my phone, but we aren't sure if with the clearances, if we can utilize what my builder has already put in, without having the stove pipes having a bunch of angled pipes. I'm frustrated by all of this. it can't be moved now, because of the rooms upstairs, if we put it in a different spot, it changes the whole framing of the upstairs rooms

As Begreen said... this is the source: http://woodstove.com/images/editorial_support/Ideal_Steel_Manual/210_Covers_Specs.pdf

See page 6. If you get the rear heat shield, the clearance is substantially reduced, but you need appropriate reduced clearance stove pipe (or a pipe heat shield) if you do this.

And you can see this document for more information: http://woodstove.com/images/editorial_support/PDFs/210-Installation-160901.pdf

You also need to pay attention to the R value of the hearth pad if you are building it yourself.

I built mine and needed a sandwich of Cement Board and Mineral Fiberboard (SBI-Micore 300 - http://www.efireplacestore.com/sbi-ac02565.html) to make a thin hearth and still meet the directions.

Pictures will help. Here is the full clearance table for the IS
Screen Shot 2016-10-09 at 4.33.52 PM.png

you all are amazing, thank you so much! I'm sending the information along to them so they won't goof it up. I wasn't planning on being there because my kids have the day off from school and we wanted to celebrate my youngest's birthday. hopefully having this info will be enough.

the chimney is in. does it look silly? yep haha. but, at least I know I have the safest option available, which makes me feel so much better. Ok, so I read that one can build a box around the pipe coming out of the roof.... can it go on after the fact, or did I miss the chance to do that?

Ok, so I read that one can build a box around the pipe coming out of the roof.... can it go on after the fact, or did I miss the chance to do that?
It can still be done. If the shingles are on already there will be a bit of rework there, but not a big deal.

Indeed. After 6 pages of posts we would really like to see your new home and chimney.

I'll take one today when I'm over there. I did a quick drive by yesterday on my way home, I didn't even get out of the car.

Looks mighty fine from here.
I hope you can relax after this ordeal.

A year from now you won't notice it. How does it look inside?

I dont really like the look of prefab chimneys but that does not look to bad at all. I think it would look better with a chase around it and some brick veneer on that chase but nothing wrong with it now.

I could live with that . . .it doesn't really stick out. However, I suspect you could have your contractor build a nice chase around it if it really bothers you . . . but I suspect a few months in the home and you will forget all about it.

Reactions: bholler
It is already growing on me :) No idea on the inside, I didn't get to go in today as they were building some stairs in there :)

Now, I have to pick up my ideal steel stove by the 22nd of this month. The house isn't due to be completed by the third week of november now... we had a big delay. I don't have a garage or anything I can put the stove in, do you think it would be ok in a shed? it is like 700 pounds, so I"m not sure how to move it around to and fro. I also have top figure out the hearth. seems cheaper to build one instead of get a hearth pad, right?

It is already growing on me :) No idea on the inside, I didn't get to go in today as they were building some stairs in there :)

Now, I have to pick up my ideal steel stove by the 22nd of this month. The house isn't due to be completed by the third week of november now... we had a big delay. I don't have a garage or anything I can put the stove in, do you think it would be ok in a shed? it is like 700 pounds, so I"m not sure how to move it around to and fro. I also have top figure out the hearth. seems cheaper to build one instead of get a hearth pad, right?

Typically it's cheaper to build your own hearth . . . and not all that hard to do. If you have your contractor do it just remember that he/she needs to build it to spec -- i.e. the proper size and also (if needed) paying attention to the required R-value of the pad.

When I looked at your picture I noticed your lot and the partially dismantled trailer in front of it. What do you believe the chances are of your new house being 3 houses down from me?

Status
Not open for further replies.