Woodstock Progress Hybrid Install...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jzampieron

Aug 5, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
So my wife and I finally pulled the trigger on a PH to replace a Preway ZC Fireplace circa 1986.

This is the start of a long project to redo the living room. While the stove won't be installed until Spring/Summer 2015, I figured folks here might appreciate the way that we got the stove into the house.

We don't have a basement (the house is built on top of the garage) and its a flight of stairs anyway you slice it to get to the main living space.

This thread answers the question: How do two men get an 800lb object up a flight of stairs on a budget.

Don't try this at home...
2014-08-02 11.18.19.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
lol nice!

But I don't think I could wait till spring 2015. Hell I had mine burning in the driveway the day we got it home in like August!

One thing is for sure . . . you or your buddy look mighty happy. ;)

Very, keep us posted on how the reno goes, please be pic heavy if you don't mind, I love watching other home owners do projects like this, Im sorta handy so every little idea is a big help for me; and most of all good luck!

The smiley face in the photo is actually my father. Dad came to visit for the day and help with the stove move. Dad and I were both mighty happy to have a beer at a local restaurant after all the work that day.

I grew up burning an old Jotul Combifire #4 (which isn't even on their website anymore). I'm trying to convince him to get something modern. I'm kind of the family test case with this PH install.

My wife and I went to West Lebanon to pickup the stove. I highly recommend that if people decide on a PH or other Woodstock model. Well worth the trip. The Ideal Steel in the center of the lobby has an amazing industrial steam-punk feel that just doesn't come through in pictures. Also a ton of fun things to do about 10 minutes away in Quechee, VT.

I had to cut the deck railing to make an opening to get the stove into place.

I will be taking lots of pictures b/c I have to replace the chimney on the ZC and we'll be doing some kind of stone work, inspired by https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/my-alcove-install-in-pictures.74192/ .

Going to also redo the rest of the living room with hardwood floor and a custom hearth at the same time. Major construction project. It's slowly driving me nuts to have the stove just sitting in the box in the living room, but I can't risk tearing the wall out of my house and not having the time or $ to finish the project before the winter cold sets in.

Last edited:
Well, the deck passed the test. It can support 700#. :) Looking forward to your progress with the Progress.

Reactions: n3pro
So, the chimney project was a huge success. We are sitting here burning the PH on a mildly cool NH night... still seasoning the stove paint.

I figured I'd take this time to upload pictures of the process along the way.

This is the room before. Notice the PH sitting in the box... waiting... watching...
DSC00512.jpg
This is cutting the wall out of the house to access the old chimney and prepare for the removal of that old Preway.
DSC00514.jpg
Here you can see the old chimney. I found that the roofers didn't hold clearances at the top where the chimney passed through the roof.
DSC00515.jpg

Here is the wall thimble for the duravent.
DSC00527.jpg
The actual chimney stack in place.
DSC00528.jpg
Another view. Showing the sandwich of the hearth pad. 2 layers of durock and 1 layer of SBI Micore 300 for an R value greater than 1. PH requires at least 0.8 with a bottom heat shield.
DSC00532.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Woody harrelson
This is a photo of my lovely wife cleaning the gutters next to the new chimney with the 51' articulating lift that we needed to do the roof part of the chimney install. Also had to re-roof that entire section. Don't believe the Duravent directions when they say you can just slide the metal flashing under the shingles... yeah... good luck with that.
20150719_162338.jpg
Photo of the wall insulated with Roxul (Mineral Wool). This was a recommendation from the local Fire marshal who did a preliminary inspection of the chimney. It has a higher (1800F) melting point vs the pink stuff (1100 or so) and a better R factor to boot.
20150725_190111 (1).jpg The wall, all covered with durock. We are going to do a stone veneer eventually. Something like Eldorado or Versetta Stone.
20150728_191553 (1).jpg
The stove, hearth... finally in place.
20150906_164755 (1).jpg
First Fire! Seasoning the stone and the cast iron.
20150918_220027 (1).jpg

Getting pretty close. I'm concerned about the rear clearance. Isn't it supposed to be 36"? Will an NFPA 211 wall shield be going up? Cement board on wood studs with no air gap is not a proper shield. There is no clearance reduction for that construction.

progress clear.png

Last edited:
Begreen, the heat shield from Woodstock will get you within 7 inches of the wall.

Yes, I just found that this morning. Thanks for the reminder!

As was mentioned the clearance with the rear heat shield is 7". The shield is on and you don't really notice it at all. No idea why you'd not want to use it. Saves lots of space in the room.

The stove is actually about 12"-13" from the durock. The stove pipe is dual-wall duravent DVL which has a 6" clearance to wall and 8" to ceiling.

Everything should be just fine clearance wise. Was very careful to follow the manuals and read lots of threads. I'm going to schedule a final inspection with the town fire marshal soon.

The wall will eventually get a mortar scratch coat and proper stone finish, but not this winter.

Yes, I didn't catch the rear heat shield. Are they selling the stove with this as standard and already installed? Looks like you are ready to get warm and just in time.

Yes, I didn't catch the rear heat shield. Are they selling the stove with this as standard and already installed? Looks like you are ready to get warm and just in time.
I think they basically just include the rear heat shield. They have it itemized on the bill, but it seems to be included. It might cost like 80 bucks who knows it doesn't match the paint and I had to grind mine it was rubbing on the dampner adjuster.

The stove basically comes strapped to a heavy duty pallet with a box inside the stove with the legs and basic hardware.

There is an accessory box that has the rear heat shield, which I think comes standard and the ash pan, which is optional.

The pallet is cleverly designed such that you can attach the legs without actually lifting the stove and then you can use blocks and a 2x4 lever to lift it just enough to slide the pallet out.

After we got the stove sitting on its legs we swapped the stove pipe opening from rear to top, attached the rear heat shield, door handle, ash pan and bottom heat shield (over the ash pan).

Took about a hour to assemble with a couple sockets and a nut driver or two.

The stove pipe was more frustrating.

The stove basically comes strapped to a heavy duty pallet with a box inside the stove with the legs and basic hardware.

There is an accessory box that has the rear heat shield, which I think comes standard and the ash pan, which is optional.

The pallet is cleverly designed such that you can attach the legs without actually lifting the stove and then you can use blocks and a 2x4 lever to lift it just enough to slide the pallet out.

After we got the stove sitting on its legs we swapped the stove pipe opening from rear to top, attached the rear heat shield, door handle, ash pan and bottom heat shield (over the ash pan).

Took about a hour to assemble with a couple sockets and a nut driver or two.

The stove pipe was more frustrating.
Yes the stove pipe is very frustrating.

How so and what was the final solution?

How so and what was the final solution?

My major issue is that for what the stuff costs, The DVL doesn't feel that well made.

The slip fit in the adjustable sections (which you pretty much must-have) is sloppy and scratches up the inner pipe.

Plan on buying a can of Stove Bright to touch up.

Similarly, the mating surfaces don't have a decent tolerance to them. I frequently was obviously deforming one or more pieces to get them to fully mate. The sections just didn't stay round and uniform. Not a huge deal as I got a good seal everywhere, but I did expect better.

Also the Duravent DVL adapter that came with the Class A Chimney Through the wall kit was the cheap one that didn't have a good mechanical connection. I had to go buy the more expensive one b/c there is no way the kit part was going to last.

I have the cheap one in my garage if anyone can use it. Not sure what good it is...

My major issue is that for what the stuff costs, The DVL doesn't feel that well made.

The slip fit in the adjustable sections (which you pretty much must-have) is sloppy and scratches up the inner pipe.

Plan on buying a can of Stove Bright to touch up.

Similarly, the mating surfaces don't have a decent tolerance to them. I frequently was obviously deforming one or more pieces to get them to fully mate. The sections just didn't stay round and uniform. Not a huge deal as I got a good seal everywhere, but I did expect better.

Also the Duravent DVL adapter that came with the Class A Chimney Through the wall kit was the cheap one that didn't have a good mechanical connection. I had to go buy the more expensive one b/c there is no way the kit part was going to last.

I have the cheap one in my garage if anyone can use it. Not sure what good it is...
Glad you got it sorted out and up to standards. At least you won't have to worry about it for a very long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.