Q&A building plans for wood/coal stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

I'm interested in building a stove out of stock steel e.g. 1/4" sheet- tubing-etc. I having basic welding skills with 6010 and 7018 rods (1/8")-oxy-acytelene cutting and welding- and plasma cutting. I gather from perusing the digests that efficient stove design is an art- and that you can't just weld a box- line it with brick- and expect it to work. This would be a one-off- not for business.

Answer:

No one sells such plans...It's a very delicate balance to build the newer type of stove- which is"clean burning". Many companies have spent years perfecting their designs- and needed lab equipment in order to tune them up.If you are going to build- I'd collect some of the modern stove brochures and note the interior design points.....many of the brochures have cut-aways inside.

Status
Not open for further replies.