Bummer...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

HisTreeNut

Minister of Fire
Nov 3, 2014
Burnsville, NC
So the deer are wandering through town as more and more as weekend hunters enter and leave the area.
Apparently, a spooked deer tried to jump on or over my wood stack the other day. It did not work out for the poor guy as I have half a pallet of wood all over the ground, a leaning partial stack, and a severely torn tarp. Of course today is a day of heavy downpours with up to 2" per hour.
I suppose it could be worse, but a huge bummer... <sigh>

Reactions: Gboutdoors
I wonder if I could start blaming my falling stacks on deer...

So far, I’ve blamed them on the shorter 17” splits required to fit in my BK, as the 20” long splits I used to make for the Jotuls never toppled. It couldn’t be the guy doing the stacking, no...

Blame it on goats. Goats like to climb - everybody knows that...

Maybe it was a deer being chased by Bigfoot, because he thought it was a goat, and he wanted to catch it before the aliens got it?

I will tell my wife that next time one of mine fall over. She just says (after one has toppled) smartass kind of "I guess that one is dry".

A bear was using my stack for a ladder over the back fence before I moved it.

Reactions: Gboutdoors
No over hanging oak trees are there? I find that acorns falling on your stacks from them can knock over even the best wood pile..:rolleyes:

No acorns but lots of needles from white pine trees...what if it was the unicorn that spooked the deer that was being chased by Bigfoot...???

Last edited:
Long ago, back in the days of yore, we had a deer run right into our house. it didn't fall down, but we did get some venison out of it.

It has been a while since my stack collapsed, but when it does, it's all going into a creek. Maybe I should do something to prevent this...

I did notice that some of the stuff piled under the porch has to be pushed back into place regularly. I blame that on the short splits that someone gave me too...

I got one stack leaning quite a bit, when it finally falls over im gonna blame it on a deer

Long ago, back in the days of yore, we had a deer run right into our house. it didn't fall down, but we did get some venison out of it.

It has been a while since my stack collapsed, but when it does, it's all going into a creek. Maybe I should do something to prevent this...

I did notice that some of the stuff piled under the porch has to be pushed back into place regularly. I blame that on the short splits that someone gave me too...
Did the deer come through a door or a window? Talk about fresh meat!

Reactions: Ashful
Did the deer come through a door or a window? Talk about fresh meat!
i should have been more specific. It ran into the side of the house and broke its neck....

i should have been more specific. It ran into the side of the house and broke its neck....
You were specific enough, I was just having a laugh. You do see footage of deer getting into buildings on the news from time to time.

You were specific enough, I was just having a laugh. You do see footage of deer getting into buildings on the news from time to time.
Mornings. Uggg

Darwin theory applies when a deer chases parked houses.

Last edited:
Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000