helping a buddy

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Dec 22, 2015
western New Hampshire
about 3 months ago, one of my contractor friends had a little accident while on a job site. He was up on a roof during some hot weather, got a little dehydrated and dizzy and then found himself in an ambulance. Fractured pelvis, but worse for him will be the loss of motion and mobility in his right arm due to the nerve damage. For sure it could've been A LOT worse.
He's in his late 40's, couple young-ish kids, has insurance but certainly won't cover lost wages as he continues to recover. His mom did a go-fund-me and raised a quick $5k, but that won't last long these days.
What does this have to do with the Wood Shed? Glad you asked. He also burns wood to heat his home, so my brother came up with the great idea of delivering a few cords of firewood to their family, c&s. We had already knocked down some maples for next year's stash, so over the last couple of months we've rallied some crews on spare weekends to bang it out. This weekend we will be delivering it. I'm estimating we'll end up with at least 5 cords, although we'll know more once it's stacked.
It was quite a community effort I must say, which is great because this is one of those guys that has given tons of time over the years to help out with various things in town and would give you shirt off his back. I'm sure you know the type, and I'm sure like others of his ilk they always refuse any type of "charity" like this. He usually c&s his own wood, but at the moment he can't squeeze the throttle on a chainsaw, and snowmobiling is in question too.
His life is going to be very different moving forward, but I'm really proud that we were able to pull this off. At least half of it is pretty well seasoned, so if we can get all of stacked this weekend he should be in good
wood.jpg
shape for the wintah.

Good on you guys for chipping in and helping him out like that, that is really too bad that this happened to anyone let alone an active person. I hope that he can at least carry on well enough after he heals.

This is wonderful what you all did!

I worked as a paramedic for many years. That fractured pelvis is a pretty bad injury long recovery. Also nerve damage in the arm, probably time for him to get a new line of work.
Of course, if he had landed on his head, he would be following in the wheelchair marks of Christopher Reeve so, it could have been a lot worse.

Good for y'all for helping this guy out, that's great!

Props to you for your help and compassion. Also good job on the PPE in the photo, cant be too careful.

Can you also figure some way to stack the wood close to the house? If his arm is limited, then his wife may have to carry loads. A small stacking area near the stove can help her a bit. Just an idea. You are the kind of person that makes America great.

Reactions: Beer Belly
You guys are the best. He must be an awesome person himself to be surrounded by such a group of friends. Speedy recovery prayers on the way

Just a quick update to close this out....we had great weather and banged this out in about 3 hours. The labor turnout was better than expected, so we had a crews loading, transporting, and stacking. We even split a little more between loads, which got us up to the 5-cord mark. I heard later that his 6th grade boy wrote a story about it for class. Pretty cool.
My man is healing OK, but the nerve damage to his hand is going to take a while and he probably won't get 100% mobility back.
This weekend we'll be burning brush. There's a MONSTER pile to burn and I'm sure plenty of Octoberfests to be had. Good times all around.
IMG_0768.jpg
IMG_0772.jpg

Just a quick update to close this out....we had great weather and banged this out in about 3 hours. The labor turnout was better than expected, so we had a crews loading, transporting, and stacking. We even split a little more between loads, which got us up to the 5-cord mark. I heard later that his 6th grade boy wrote a story about it for class. Pretty cool.
My man is healing OK, but the nerve damage to his hand is going to take a while and he probably won't get 100% mobility back.
This weekend we'll be burning brush. There's a MONSTER pile to burn and I'm sure plenty of Octoberfests to be had. Good times all around.View attachment 248369View attachment 248370
As I always said to my platoon, OUTFUCKINGSTANDING gents!!!

warms the soul to see people helping people. They lost side of humanity today.

Our communities, country, world, etc would be a much better place if more followed suit. Thank you for what you represent.

Reactions: Lone_Gun
This is freakin' awesome. He must be one hulluva guy for so many to have his back. You don't see much of this "community coming together to help a neighbor in need" these days, great job.

Really nice there guys...kiddos to you all...

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk

Kudos too! Lol

Or maybe a whole bunch of wild 2 and 3 year olds would be preferable? I heard they keep a person younger! They tire me out though.

That's awesome what you guys did!

Kudos too! Lol

Or maybe a whole bunch of wild 2 and 3 year olds would be preferable? I heard they keep a person younger! They tire me out though.
Lol!!! Stupid auto-correct...

Sent from my VS835 using Tapatalk