Burn Check -- Am I doing this right?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wood Noob

Feb 15, 2012
Fairfield County, CT
As the handle implies, this is our first year burning wood--I'm a Wood Noob (Well, it depends on whatcha mean by wood, but that's a whole 'nuther forum). We recently moved into our 3,500 sq.ft. home with a reasonably open floor plan. Between the cathedral ceilings (with skylights, of course), huge floor to ceiling windows all over, and three teenage daughters who like their showers, we 'd been paying over $1,000 per month in heating oil since October. WIFE NOT HAPPY. So, three weeks ago, we installed a Lennox/Country Canyon 310 insert via our local stove shop in NW CT.

Aside from about three days of breaking in, we've been experimenting and trying to figure out how this wood stove thing works. (At this point, I should mention that I've been lurking here since December; thank you all for your invaluable comments and advice, particularly Be Green, Bro Bart, Dennis, Brian and all of you Fire Honor Society members...you really can't appreciate the peace of mind I feel from your posts!)

Anyway, after some initial mishaps that I'll share once our warranty expires, I think we've got the burn cycle down. Since we have no wood stocked up, we're using kiln dried hardwood. (also hellaciously expensive at $290 (refill price) for about 1/3 cord (a full Woodhaven rack (8X4X16")) Planning to move to Eco-bricks for the rest of the season.

Meanwhile, burn cycle wise, I'd like to make sure I'm doing this right. I'm particularly interested to know If we're burning too hot, or too much and if my refill is at the right time...that sort of thing.

SO I logged today's stove use. Your comments would be greatly appreciated!

Wood burn times

11:00 am. Cold start with last night's old embers (stove temp 100f) damper open full - load size two rows n/s (14-16 pieces of wood).

11:15 am secondaries engaged; temp to 200f damper down to 1/2; most splits ignited. Room temp 71

11:25. Blower kicks in. Stove Temp to 600. All splits ignited. Damper closed.

11:47. Stove Temp cruising at 700. Room temp up to 73. Bit of the funky metal smell (likely from the kettle on the stove). No glow on the stovetop.

12:30. Wood mostly chunky coal. Stove Temp down to 450. Room temp up to 77.

2:00. Room temp up to 80. Stove temp at 300. Open draft to 3/4 open.

7:15 pm. Blower shuts off. 2-3 large log-like coals still glowing red. Temp at about 200f. Room temp still 78.

9:45 pm. Oven temp 150. Room temp 73. Raked remaining embers to create even bed of coals. Loaded another 16-18 splits. Damper opened full. Here we go again.

10:15 pm. Blower kicks in. Stove temp passes 600. (eventually reaches 750, but no glow) Nothing I can do. Damper is closed and I'm off to bed.

Thanks!

The Wood Noob

Sounds like your temps are getting to the high side, but not overly hot so that is good. Keeping things under 750 for the everyday burn is a good plan.

The only thing that surprises me is the amount of splits that you are loading in the stove (along with the price of course :gulp: ). I'd say that these splits seem awful small to me if you are fitting so many into the stove. A few pics or description of the split size would help here. I know this is a BIG unit, but that still seems like a lot of splits to me.

Before I go further, it sounds like what you are doing now is pretty dang good for a self proclaimed noob. However, i think w/ larger splits that are as dry as what you are burning, you should see stove top temps that are more stable for a longer period of time.

Around here, an 8ftx4ftx16inch load of wood is called a "face cord" and sells for between 45 and 60 dollars. However, virtually all of it sold at that price (despite what the seller will claim) is unseasoned or at best under seasoned wood.

If I were you considering the supplement you should be able to get, I'd be doing everything I can to get about 5 cord of wood on hand NOW and have it split, stacked, and drying in your back yard so that it is ready for you this fall. You may not be able to get it for as cheap as is available in my rural area, but you should be able to find someone selling wood that simply needs to be dried a bit by nature at a heck of a savings over $870 a cord.

If you can get good fuel at a cheaper rate, then I think you are going to be a very happy camper!

"Pat on the back" for doing a damn fine job of starting off this wood burning obsession thing!

pen

I think you're off to a good start, the wood price being the exception - we all learn and evolve as time passes.
The thing I'd question is when you're opening damper to 3/4 when the coal load is keeping stove at 300F
The coals release a good deal of the wood's heat, this is when on a cold day one would reload and get secondaries kicking in.
On a moderate day our doing OK, just resist the urge to add air, it only cools the firebox off; but is neccessary for getting it going on a reload.
Welcome to the forum.

Welcome.

Sounds like your doing a good job.

I am surprised that 1.5 hours after a cold start your 14-16 splits are already reduced to chunky coals. How large are these splits? I could achieve that with small splits but larger splits definitely take longer to burn up.

I open the air while burning coals the way you describe. If I keep the air reduced I get longer burns but lower temperatures, and coals start to accumlate. Today (warm here) I will keep the air more reduced. On a cold day I'd open it up.

Dunno what town you are in but Brothers Tree in Watertown has BioBricks for 295 per skid I think that may be delivered but good price at any rate. BT in Bristol has several brands of compressed wood bricks and their delivery prices are reasonable.

Sounds like your wood is burning down really fast but you are getting 9-10 hours out of a burn so...? Not sure what to advise there.

Status
Not open for further replies.