burn down huge coal pile Drolet Heatpro

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Siefert

Jan 20, 2016
chimney
my schedule makes it hard for me to properly burn batches of wood. I'm usually jamming my furnace full when I get home to catch up so I usually get a huge pile of coals that take awhile to burn down.

I have a droplet heatpro furnace. I have found that if I partially remove the ash plug and open the ash pan slightly I will get a draft from the bottom of the pile and it does a good job at burning the coals and putting out heat.

My guestion is how harmful is this for the stove? I know the danger of having the fireplace open but was wondering if this method is harmful to the furnace.

My total guess would be that no damage would occur if you did this when it was down to coals. If you forgot to put it back together before you started another fire might be a different story.

That's what I was thinking. The max caddy has a grate in the front instead of a plug. It also has a draw/latch system instead of a wingnut/drawer system

I think I'm going to get a cast iron grate to use instead of the plug and crack the door only to burn down coals. I love this furnace but the coaling issue was bumming me out a little.

Don't think so, I used some super seasoned wood in this furnace last year and it would basically burn top down from the secondary tubes because it was so dry.

My guestion is how harmful is this for the stove? I know the danger of having the fireplace open but was wondering if this method is harmful to the furnace.
It would make me nervous...blowing on hot coals is how blacksmiths melt iron.
If I load it full and walk away and come back 3-4 hours it works much better than me putting in 2-3 pieces every half hour. My wife is less than helpful when it comes to loading it when I'm not home
Its hard to burn a full load down in less than 8 hrs. Putting 2-3 pieces on every half hour WILL make a pile of coals...these things need to batch burn.
Have you tried pulling the coals to the front and loading some dry softwood on it? Makes a ton of heat and burns down the coals. Also, are you using a tstat?

I'm using a tstat and yes I rake the coals to the front and it helps. 8hrs sounds about right I was just looking to get some btus out of the coals since it took up so much room. I've been watching it and it seems to help and the temps are not very high

Well, its your house and furnace, so if that works for you...like I said, would make me nervous. There's a reason that almost every wood burner manufacturer (including Drolet) specifically say to not burn with the ash drawer/plug open. And I would never never never load up any new wood and then leave the room when the ash drawer/plug is open...just begging for trouble there. Never forget, this is fire inside your home!
Bottom line, if you are getting coals buildup, either your heat load is too great for the Heatpro (!!!) or your wood is not dry...maybe both.
What is your main heat source? It may be wise to let the Drolet carry the bulk of the heat load for 8 ish hours or so, and if that is not enough to maintain the house temp, then just let the main furnace kick on for a bit...that will still keep your heat bill way low. Plus, the less wet wood you burn this winter leaves more to dry well for next winter. That's the biggest favor you can do for yourself, get 2 and preferably 3 years ahead on your cut/split/stacked firewood...it burns niiiice!
And depending on where you are located...know that most of us don't get too many days as cold as it has been here lately in a years time, so don't get too hung up on "100%" wood heat...its OK to supplement a bit if needed.

Rake the coals to the front. Then use a minimal coal producing split or two, like pine or aspen (popple) to get a fast hot burn on top of those coals, and in my experience the coals can be pretty well burned down in short order.

Hey seifert, get to thinking about it...you may have the first Heatpro live in captivity here on hearth...got any pics? How long you had it? What is your impression so far? (other than the coaling issue, which is common to EPA type fireboxes if you try to push them too hard)

Status
Not open for further replies.