Burn Pot Clunkers ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MiMod

Oct 22, 2019
272727@1Billy
Got a new vogelzang this fall & so far pretty good. We usually clean it every day as our weather is still warm enough that we can shut it down during light for several hours. Well the last two times we cleaned it found pretty large clunkers in the burn pot & even some melted but not burnt pellets. This was after about 18 hour burns with unit on lowest setting. So I'm wondering if this is an indication that I need to open up the fresh air intake more or possibly just from the high humidity of the outside fresh air intake & the rain were in now. I'm using same pellet brand I have been using that was working good.

I had an Enviro with a manual fresh air pull Rod to open or close the amount of fresh air into the stove. I would a lot of times get a lot of clinkers. I love my Ravalle because everything is automatic you don't have to manually set anything and I never have any clinkers burning the same pellets that I burned in my other pellet stoves that always had clinkers. That's why I went with a Ravalli everything is automated and I don't have to worry about getting up and putting the heat indicator on one or two or three I just set the thermostat thats built in to the temperature I want.

I get more clinkers if I run it with too much air. I set my damper so the flame looks strong but not so strong that it looks like a blowtorch.

I know a lot of people of like Harman and other pellet stoves. But my ravelli does it automatically. I'm not saying my stove is the best stove out there but it sure eliminates all of the do I set this at this do I set that at that.

Harmon XXV I have you set the feed rate to 4 and set the temp. Let it light on auto and switch to manual and forget it. Scrap out pot and wipe glass. I do it daily, but it could go days from what I have seen.

I know yours is a higher btu stove but for reference I put my damper about 1/4 of the way open for heat range 1.

Thanks, It was set at 1/4 open.. I dunno, Maybe it was that bag of Pellets. About to start a retest of the Michigan Hardwood Pellets now that I'm a little bit smarter about this thing thanks to your help.