Burn Pot/ Ignitor area?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Robzheat

Sep 30, 2006
How often do you clean the area where the ignitor is. I decided to clean mine the other day after burning about 15 bags of pellets.

I couldn't believe how much ashes were in the ignitor area, it lit much easier after that

Robzheat said:
How often do you clean the area where the ignitor is. I decided to clean mine the other day after burning about 15 bags of pellets.

I couldn't believe how much ashes were in the ignitor area, it lit much easier after that
More often when the weather is warm than cold, the stove will usualy be running 24/7 when it gets real cold so the ignitor isn't really needed You'll be able to get away with cleaning it between 25 to 50 bags soon. The best tip that its time to clean, is when the flame starts to get lazy and lean towards the glass, at this point do a complete cleaning though, and try to do it on a day that is warmest for the week. Beware the weather people lie on the extended forcasts. :)

Never gave it any special attention on the Quad. It stayed pretty clean. Why would the ignitor area get crustier on the Harman?

BeGreen said:
Never gave it any special attention on the Quad. It stayed pretty clean. Why would the ignitor area get crustier on the Harman?
Not 100% sure on that one but the igniter is under the burnpot and the airflow through the stove follows this path maybe the ash insulates the igniter a little, but when it gets filled with ash and the stove starts to auto ignite, the stove has a very very smokey startup, maybe its an air fuel ratio thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.