burn red oak bark?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dyerkutn

Feeling the Heat
Jul 11, 2011
Boston NW suburbs
Haven't been checking in for a while but now I have a question--this might be better for Wood Shed but I will start here.

Just got two cords of green red oak. Most was clean but there was a fair amount of bark that fell off while I was stacking. The bark is extemely thick so I wonder if it is worth burning. There is a fair volume so seems a shame to chuck it, but if it is not that useful I will. The cords will be drying for 2-3 years and I suspect the bark dries a lot quicker.

I myself toss the bark in a tub and burn it later in the fire pit. It starts to fall off pretty much after the 3rd and 4th year of seasoning. I too burn mostly red oak. Right or wrong I'm not sure, I just like it without the bark. Mostly cuz the wood is cleaner then. I store some wood in the garage in the winter so I'm thinking maybe less critters also.

qgUBKBiF_318JcezgjmjDMjqjdUYOmMTfnzktEtuEkZBMlR3l7Wdbo2RYCZ5vbFIgFydHlVA68ZDiWbyUPM=w901-h675-no.jpg

I throw large - medium bark ( & splitter trash) into milk crates, and a few garbage cans that have holes / cracked bottoms. Seasons quick w/ the air flow, and makes excellent kindling. I also stack it in with the firewood here & there, so I can always have some kindling if I need it in winter (hasn't happened yet ;) !).

I carry it in with the firewood in vortex totes, and transfer the kindling into a large plastic tote that holds kindling, newspaper, large broken up dead fall,cardboard, etc for ire starting.

The smaller stuff gets crushed by the wheels of riding mower (blades up & off, of course !! ) as I drive over it.... makes a nice base for staging the splitter area.., I'm starting to spread it in between the stacks too.

*Note to self* - Been doing this wayyyyy to long :rolleyes:

;)

bark = BTUs

So of course do twigs, wood chips and slivers, sawdust, nut shells, etc,. I put moderate amounts (fully dried) in brown paper bags and burn them all.

I chuck all of the thick red oak bark into the woods. Too smokey for me.

Reactions: tarzan
Been stripping my red oak too for curing purposes and toss them in the firepit.
Lotta ash cleanout in the stove. I think creosote can be an issue with such smoky fuel.

Just the same it can keep you warm, save some heating cash, do the job, and give you
a reason to inspect the chimney often. I'd do it too if low on stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
I myself toss the bark in a tub and burn it later in the fire pit. It starts to fall off pretty much after the 3rd and 4th year of seasoning. I too burn mostly red oak. Right or wrong I'm not sure, I just like it without the bark. Mostly cuz the wood is cleaner then. I store some wood in the garage in the winter so I'm thinking maybe less critters also.

View attachment 184298
noce storage area--how much wood is in that picture?

Same as @sportbikerider78. I cut dead downed wood, so I pull off as much as I can in the woods. The rest that falls off when splitting I toss in the woods. It only goes in my stove if it's still on the wood. My wood dries faster without the bark.

If it's attached to the split I burn it, otherwise burn outside. Bark and kindling make a lot of ash.

Reactions: Fod01
I chuck all of the thick red oak bark into the woods. Too smokey for me.
Yeah, same here. All the bark that comes off during the seasoning process I use as foundation for my pallets, pothole filler, and to keep a weed-free perimeter around the stacks. If I was strapped for wood fuel, like I was completely out, I'd probably burn it.

Reactions: dyerkutn
I toss it into the edge of the woods adjacent to my splitting area. It keeps weeds and wild roses down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: dyerkutn
Status
Not open for further replies.