Burn the poop!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
On moose. Nan and I went on a moose watching trip to ME when we lived in NJ.

Was told some drive pickups to get up high. Hit a moose in a car, you take out the legs and a thousand-pound animal comes through the windshield. Not like hitting a deer.

Sad pictures online of moose in New England with tens of thousands ticks that look like they are covered in grapes. Very sad.

They will come through the windshield of a pickup too. I knew a guy who had that happen. And he survived. Covered in ticks. They blew right off that moose and what was left of his cab was crawling in ticks with him scrunched across the floor. The moose kicked its way out of there and ran off, presumably to die. He was probably going to die from the ticks anyway. The ticks have been bad for the moose from time to time here. They are white with ticks. Sad.

Also sad, Kevin dyed young from a late onset hereditary disease. That was about 10 years after he hit that moose.

I saw an article on "Farm Show Magazine" years ago. sp a search there I cant remember much about it. Im surprised people dont ask you for it for their gardens . Just a saying yall Thanks
Horse manure is not digested all that well and introduces a lot of seeds into gardens.

Reactions: Hoytman
Horse manure is not digested all that well and introduces a lot of seeds into gardens.
We have to be really cautious using horse manure in the gardens here. A lot of local horses feed on eastern Washington hay which can have the herbicide clopyralid in it. They use this to control Canadian Thistle. It is devastating to gardens as the horse's poop concentrates this herbicide. Clopyralid is banned in Western WA but the hay is not. There is a good reason for the ban. It is quite persistent. That means no green beans or peas and weak crops like corn or tomatoes in soil that has it in it for 3-5 years.

There is no reason whatsoever to use chemicals to irradicate canada thistle. You just have to cut it. Several cuts later it is gone. Cutting immediately prior a heavy rain kills it dead. Done.

I’d be interested in this as well if you make any headway. My sister has two horses so I might have some untapped btu on hand if you are successful.

Our nearest neighbor is over a mile away, so we are not worried about that. There is no smell after the manure is dry, but I'm not sure about when burning it. 🤷‍♀️ I guess we should try that outside first to be sure LOL.
The articles I read said it produces 30% more BTU pound for pound than wood, so I think the stove would need to be rated for that.
Im over a mile away from a farm and on a warm / windy day I can smell the cow pasture easily.

I stumbled across this.

horse manure has higher chlorine and sulfur levels than wood, both of which are corrosive to metal (like a furnace).

Might wreak havoc on the insulated chimney as well.

Reactions: electrathon
There is no reason whatsoever to use chemicals to irradicate canada thistle. You just have to cut it. Several cuts later it is gone. Cutting immediately prior a heavy rain kills it dead. Done.
We're talking fields in the hundreds of acres. Hand cutting is not trivial. I was told by one organic farmer there that if the county agents find the thistle growing in your fields, they will spray it. It's a different mindset over there. They spray frequently for everything, fertilizing, herbicide, and even using glyphosate (roundup) a week before harvest to desiccate the crop. Farming by chemistry is a way of life in America for a lot of farmers. I hate it, but that is the way it is for many. They're killing the soil for profit.

I am a farmer. I know this. I am surrounded by fields adding to tens of thousands of acres. Well, I have a large buffer to the west of forest and another to the north and south. My own lands haven't been sprayed in about 30 years. I grow grass and an occasional annual crop of oats and/or barley and right back to grass.

I also know that thistles are killed by cutting them. You can cut them any way you wish; by hand, or with any large or small equipment. This does not work in annual crops (cause they are cut too late), but works in grasslands. In fact, it is far more effective than sprays. Fancy that!

and if you cut them immediately before a heavy rain (or before watering your lawn, let's say) they die. Dead. Hollow stem takes up water and they die.

strong vinegar kills them even faster down the hollow stem.

they are also killing any consumers of the so-called "food" grown with these "modern" methods.

I won't get started here...

Last edited:
Hydrogen Sulfide H2S is both incredibly corrosive and dangerous. It’s a nerve agent. It’s a major problem in farm scale manure storage and digestion (methane gas burning) operations.

I have no idea if burning dry manure creates or releases significant amounts of this gas, but reading above that dung burning has a reputation for being corrosive makes me think probably a little.

I’m not saying don’t do it, but make sure your venting system is flawless. Probably a cheep stove would be wise. Manure is more than grass and seeds, in the same way wood smoke is more than wood and air.

Hydrogen Sulfide H2S is both incredibly corrosive and dangerous. It’s a nerve agent. It’s a major problem in farm scale manure storage and digestion (methane gas burning) operations.

I have no idea if burning dry manure creates or releases significant amounts of this gas, but reading above that dung burning has a reputation for being corrosive makes me think probably a little.

I’m not saying don’t do it, but make sure your venting system is flawless. Probably a cheep stove would be wise. Manure is more than grass and seeds, in the same way wood smoke is more than wood and air.

H2S is a result of microbes eating compounds containing sulfur in the manure.

Burning it wouldn't create any, and if anything would break it down into SO2 and water vapour. However this does produce sulphuric acid.

We deal with it lots in the oil and gas industry. One of the plants I work at has pumps that move 95%+ H2S in liquid form. Absolutely nasty stuff. 1000ppm in the air is almostly instantly fatal.

Reactions: stoveliker
I have a lot of cast iron cookware. Pitting on the bottom of vintage pieces is from being used with sulfur-containing fuel.

i'd say this thread is BS butt i'd be wrong.
It's HS.

H2S is a result of microbes eating compounds containing sulfur in the manure.

Burning it wouldn't create any, and if anything would break it down into SO2 and water vapour. However this does produce sulphuric acid.

We deal with it lots in the oil and gas industry. One of the plants I work at has pumps that move 95%+ H2S in liquid form. Absolutely nasty stuff. 1000ppm in the air is almostly instantly fatal.
Fair enough. Since collecting horse ‘chips’ or stall shoveling sounds like mostly aerobic conditions there shouldn’t be excessive hydrogen sulfide. OP should watch out for corrosion though since there are probably many paths to sulfuric acid in the exhaust. Stainless steel or masonry/clay chimney should be pretty resistant, but keep an eye on the stovepipe and stove.

Many years ago we had a lady in the Alaskan islands that had no choice but to burn driftwood. The solution was a PE stove which she was warned would burn out the stainless components eventually, but they were entirely replaceable. She went through a new baffle and side rails every 5 yrs or so, but at least she had heat.

Many years ago we had a lady in the Alaskan islands that had no choice but to burn driftwood. The solution was a PE stove which she was warned would burn out the stainless components eventually, but they were entirely replaceable. She went through a new baffle and side rails every 5 yrs or so, but at least she had heat.

I remember that.

To the OP - Have a few ponies myself, and I don't think I'd burn it. To many variables And yes @begreen ,horse manure is mostly the by products of the digestion process, left over hay, seeds, grain remnants, and if they are stalled, wood shavings attached after stall cleaning.

A couple of thoughts:

I would hate to box in my stove connector pipe, being able to easily remove my stove pipe from the through the wall chimney T makes cleaning so much easier and less messy.

Also I would be inclined to make a small batch of these manure logs and burn them in a camp fire before doing the whole stove install. I would want to vet out the process of fuel production to make sure it will work well and its something I'm willing to live with before making a big investment.

Just saw a youtube video where this guy built a floating home in Alaska and burned 100% drift wood. He claimed that he simply replaced the stove every 5 years.

• Sad
Reactions: begreen