Burn time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Is 120* f to hot for a mantel

2018 drolet ht2000
No. That's a normal mantel temp in some homes in Florida in the summer. >170º would be a greater concern. I don't recall seeing a mantel for your HT2000. Maybe you meant to post this in the fireplace thread?

No. That's a normal mantel temp in some homes in Florida in the summer. >170º would be a greater concern. I don't recall seeing a mantel for your HT2000. Maybe you meant to post this in the fireplace thread?
Used oak firewood spits for the brackets to hold the ruff cut oak mantle its 16 inches from my single wall that is 2 inches closer than required its different for sure..rustic
7ceecac6bc0b8f4a4eb0ce79a27df163.jpg

2018 drolet ht2000

Last edited by a moderator:
Used oak firewood spits for the brackets to hold the ruff cut oak mantle its 16 inches from my single wall that is 2 inches closer than required its different for sure..rustic View attachment 232704

2018 drolet ht2000
Yeah its to close has to move.

Or switch to double-wall stove pipe. Then you're golden. Double-wall clearance is 6".

Double wall has other benefits too. Stronger draft, stainless steel inner wall for longer life, better paint life too.

Burn time includes the coal stage , as half your heat comes from the coals , if your thinking flames is burn time its not. After flames are gone coals put out heat for some time.

If your wood is not less than 20 percent moisture then you spend alot of time and wood just trying to get the stove up to temps so that you can then get the input air shut back down.

A full load of good size dry wood on a small mount of hot coals will fire up quickly and you can get the stove input air shut back down quckly for a long heat cycle. I use heat cycle as burn time is not the way to look at it.

You can use a small couple pieces on the hot coals to get the heat up in the stove quickly as you turn the input air down in increments there is less air flow thru the stove thus heat builds better in the fire box and less heat is flushed up the flue.

Dry woods really makes it all simple.

Everything happens quickly with dry wood.

I loaded full for the first time last night on good hot coals that sicker got hot and I almost had it shut all the way down and when I went to bed it was running about 600

2018 drolet ht2000

I loaded full for the first time last night on good hot coals that sicker got hot and I almost had it shut all the way down and when I went to bed it was running about 600

2018 drolet ht2000
Pipe temp around 275 are 300

2018 drolet ht2000