Burn time

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Trey1979

Feeling the Heat
Sep 20, 2018
Mississippi
Only got 2 and a half hours out of that load I hope the unseasoned wood is the reason for such a short burn time. It has coals now maybe the load will last longer.
2e690bef2682be08303a206cbb2ca1a8.jpgb024c23deb639749b8d6178401facd22.jpg

2018 drolet ht2000

Last edited by a moderator:
a couple things right off, there's a lot of open space in the prelit picture, the pic of coals is a long ways off from what i personally would call the end of the burn, when those coals are burned down to about half / one third of what they are now i would rake them forward and reload, you have 5 splits in the unburned pic? could prolly get 9 loading them in NS on those coals, that will give you a much longer burn time, also the term burn time is quite subjective.

a couple things right off, there's a lot of open space in the prelit picture, the pic of coals is a long ways off from what i personally would call the end of the burn, when those coals are burned down to about half / one third of what they are now i would rake them forward and reload, you have 5 splits in the unburned pic? could prolly get 9 loading them in NS on those coals, that will give you a much longer burn time, also the term burn time is quite subjective.
U generally throw some kindling in on a reload

2018 drolet ht2000

If you have enough coals, there is no need for kindling upon reload. Pack that thing front to south, and tight. Lose the 2x4s, and those splits are a bit on the small side.

Can u burn creosote logs in a wood stove the ones that logs that clean the chimney?

2018 drolet ht2000

Yep, there is a lot more room in there. If you keep your wood pointing the same direction you'll be able to fit a lot more because it nests better. No need to build a by the book boy scout fire if your wood is decent. Also those coals have more heat to put out before a reload is needed. And finally kindling shouldn't be needed if you have more than about a pint or two worth of coals you can rake to one spot.

Can u burn creosote logs in a wood stove the ones that logs that clean the chimney?

you can but they dont remove creosote, they turn gooey tarry creosote to a crunchy form of creosote that is easier to clean, they dont make anything that you can burn that will clean your chimney for you, if you want your chimney cleaned hire a sweep or buy a brush and rods / soot eater and do it yourself

i never throw kindling in on a reload, only time i use kindling is if doing a cold start, when winter actually comes and i start burning 24/7 i dont use any kindling, up at 5am for work,load the stove in the morning, enjoy the morning cup of coffee, come home from work around 3pm rake the coals and toss in about a 1/2 load, enjoy a beverage infront of the fire, around 930pm laod the stove full and head off to bed, rinse and repeat until spring shows up. with good seasoned wood you shouldn't need kindling to get the stove going from coals or creosote logs for your chimney

If you have enough coals, there is no need for kindling upon reload. Pack that thing front to south, and tight. Lose the 2x4s, and those splits are a bit on the small side.
Thats funny i think those splits are big. In my regency i found i got the longest burn times with smaller splits i could pack tighter.

Reactions: Higgs
New That's funny i think those splits are big. In my regency i found i got the longest burn times with smaller splits i could pack tighter.
They are small for what we normally load the T6 with. This year we have a lot more smaller splits so I will try and compare your method vs our normal large split loads.

Not only that a cold stove and surround will heat up the first load of firewood quick as one should have the air mostly open and fire blazing until up the stove and chimney gets up to temp. So 2.5 hours for the start of fire to get everything up to temp and a big bed of coals would be typical. As other said, let the coals burn for a while, rake to the front, then pack her full and see what you get.

Agreed with all the above.

Also, not sure if it was just this load or what, but you can leave the ash in the stove. That will help extend the life of the coals a little as well. It's also less maintenance for you. Shovel out some ash once it starts to reach the inside lip in front of the firebox but generally keep some in. Depending on wood species, you can go weeks without emptying the ash.

Several months with Doug fir! No ash emptying.

Reactions: begreen

2018 drolet ht2000

You can . . . but most folks here say while they may help convert the really bad creosote to slightly better creosote (at least a bit drier creosote) there still is no replacement for physically sweeping the chimney.

And as other said . . . larger splits, no log cabin fires and let the coals run a bit before reloading to maximize the "burn time."

Thanks for the advice I'm also used to an open fireplace at the camp and dad burns the old nicholas insert with not so seasoned wood he dont understand the deal with the EPA and the newer stoves. But with that said I'm the one helps him with his wood and think i have brought enough out for us a year ahead so next year I'm gravy on the fuel

2018 drolet ht2000

You can load it even more then that. I load mine until it touches the burn tubes. I leave for work and when I come home 10 to 12 hours later I have coal to reload. That stove kept my house warm all last winter even at -20c outside it was comfortable inside with my thermostats set to 15c. But it sure eats wood when you do that.
My only problem is smoke spillage out the door if I open it before it's all coal.

You can load it even more then that. I load mine until it touches the burn tubes. I leave for work and when I come home 10 to 12 hours later I have coal to reload. That stove kept my house warm all last winter even at -20c outside it was comfortable inside with my thermostats set to 15c. But it sure eats wood when you do that.
My only problem is smoke spillage out the door if I open it before it's all coal.
I get a very little smoke but a little font bother me but it hasnt been just cold out yet

2018 drolet ht2000

Get that thing packed up, sometimes it's like a jig-saw puzzle to make it all fit all nice and tight. Also, 120 does seem a little warm. I used to put a fan on floor and angled it up at the mantle to keep the heat flowing away from it as much as possible.