Burner Plates

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Green_Jotul

Apr 25, 2020
Connecticut
Hey everyone!

I'm new to the wood stove world and was just given a Jotul Series 8 with the ashpan that someone didn't want to see go to a scrapper. The stove seems to be in pretty decent shape from the outside, other than some small chips, but it is missing the side liners.

So being new to these, I was wondering if someone could explain the purpose to the liners? Also, it is something I could make up if I have some steel and a welder at my disposal and have done a good bit of steel fabrication? I also have some ceramic fiber insulation that I used to make a rocket stove if the burner plates are meant to direct the heat from the burning wood. I was looking online and it seems like some of the burner plates are available, but if I could make something similar with what I have I would prefer that to spending money I probably shouldn't right now...

Thanks in advance for the help.

-Robert

IMG_20200425_140640.jpg

Last edited:
The burn plates are sacrificial. They protect the sides and back from burnout. You might be able to fabricate substitutes out of heavy steel. Is this a catalytic version?

The burn plates are sacrificial. They protect the sides and back from burnout. You might be able to fabricate substitutes out of heavy steel. Is this a catalytic version?

Yes, it is the catalyst version, and the catalyst seems ok from what I can see from the flue.

Should I put some insulation behind the steel or just use heavy gauge steel?

Sounds like a Series 8AP. I don't recall insulation being behind the side burn plates, but it's been a long time. There is also a rear burn plate that needs to be in place. That has specific and necessary perforations. You can still get these parts at Woodmans.

So I started breaking down the stove and found a few parts that are a little worse for the wear...

It looks like maybe it overheat or maybe just rusted out over time. In any case, does anyone know what that part is called? I am trying to figure it out from the manual, but its pretty blurry and hard to make out?

Catalyst looks kind of clogged with soot, so not sure if that is shot or if it can be cleaned up.

Burner PlatesBurner PlatesBurner Plates

Cant help you with the piece but take the cat out and clean it up, you can give it a vinegar bath, instructions on this site and see if it has life left. Not sure what a new one costs.