Burnham Boiler Venting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nate379

I have a nat gas Burnham Boiler in my garage which heats the water for the slab heat in the garage and house as well as my DHW.

The problem I have is that the intake and exhaust just go straight out the back wall of the garage, which happens to be about 4ft from the wall of the master bedroom. When the boiler kicks on, it can be heard in the bedroom. Also gas co. mentioned that gas vapors could enter soffit vent if wind was blowing that way. It's not the end of the world, but it's something I have wanted to take care of.

I was going to leave the intake on the wall, but run the exhaust up through the roof. I had an HVAC guy come and said couldn't do it that way because it would be in 2 different pressure zones. Now does that make sense?? The boiler can be setup to pull air from in the building even, so there would be 2 "zones" then as well?

He wanted to run a concentric vent (has exhaust and intake in the same pipe... pipe inside a pipe up through the roof. Well I guess this vent is hard to find, because it took a few weeks for him to find something and said it would be about $1500 for the piping and install.

I was planning on $300-400 at the most.

Do I really need a concentric vent?

If so, where can I get one? I need about 10ft of pipe.

Which model burnham ? Then... get the manual and read the venting supplement, or venting instructions, they're pretty specific. I did have one complaint in Pa where a direct vented gas boiler's condensation was affecting the large overhanging soffit. we extended the pipes- pvc in this case.

Oops, didn't know there was a gas forum, I saw boiler and thought this was the right place.

It is a Burnham SCG4, 85% effiencient non condensing. Uses 3" type B stainless pipe.

I have the manuals for the boiler but it just mentions there is a kit available and that's it. I have left email msgs and phone msgs with Burnham to get a part number or info on how to buy but haven't heard back from them.

http://www.usboiler.burnham.com/products/residetial-boilers-indirect-water-heaters/scg-pvg

Status
Not open for further replies.