Burning 24/7

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
The pros: you get heat. The cons, you use more wood.

It's not an issue or problem.

Reactions: Itslay90
The biggest issue is turn down, modern EPA stoves are designed to run hot to burn efficiently, they just do not like and many are unable to run at low BTU output. Older non EPA stoves can be run without enough air to reduce output. The problem is that the wood does not bunr completely producing a combination of Carbon Monoxide and various condensable flammable gases, the go out the stove. The CO goes up the stack and into the air as pollution and the condensables find a relatively cool place to condense out and form creosote. Stoves equipped with a catalyst generally have a better "turn down" but its comes down to, you heating demand for the house has to match the stoves ability to supply it. Unlike an oil of gas furnace a stove cannot be turned on and off.

pros & cons, if you cut your own wood you save money on heating.cons you have to make sure your willing to put the effort into keeping an eye on the stove have your wood prepared for each day so its not frozen when you put it i so as not to lose your heat in stove.did it for 2yrs not worth the effort for me as i buy my wood but for others maybe.whew that was a mouthful

What are some, pros and cons of both ?n

Con- it becomes a grind to reload 3 times every 24 hours, particularly the one load that comes at a time I'd rather be in bed. During the shoulder seasons or during mild weather, only 2.5 loads are necessary. Much more manageable.

Pro- it's easier to start from a nice bed of coals, than to relight from a cold stove. And your box of fire starters lasts a lot longer.

Reactions: VintageGal