Burning Ash FIrewood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I seem to remember the end of a similar poem that went like this:
But ashwood wet, or ashwood dry,
A King would warm his slippers by.

Ash has got to be one of my favorites to cut, certainly to split, and even to burn. After burning wood since '72, I can assure you that you can burn it fairly well not all that long after it is cut. It gives a very hot fire and very few coals, but the ease of handling and so few limbs to cut off just make it a dream to work with.

It also grows fast. It's like a firewood factory.

penfrydd said:
Ash has got to be one of my favorites to cut, certainly to split, and even to burn. After burning wood since '72, I can assure you that you can burn it fairly well not all that long after it is cut. It gives a very hot fire and very few coals, but the ease of handling and so few limbs to cut off just make it a dream to work with.

It also grows fast. It's like a firewood factory.

My sentiment exactly! I am so glad I have access to so much of it. If it does end up going the same way as the elm, it will be very sad!

Went and looked at the ash for sale The seller was shocked to see a moisture meter come out. I explained how much "seasoned" wood I have purchsed but cant use because its 30 % still. He had jsut finished splitting the logs up and I figured they'd read at 25-30 but every piece I checked was 22-24% and he is storing it inside a large barn. He had 15 face cords left and wants $75 a face.A bit pricy but it solves my wood problem at least for the next few months if I just buy 4 or 5. He also is going to keep it stored inside so i can take as I need it so looks like more wood for me. Thanks for all the replies. Sitting here watching a big snow storm roll through. Looks like another 10-15 inches today to add to the 12-16 we already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.