Burning black gum

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

StihlKicking

Feeling the Heat
Jan 12, 2016
Hatchie Bottom, MS
Does anyone have much experience burning black gum? I have a fairly large one down and was thinking of cutting it up this evening. I have plenty of wood to choose from and some of it will inevitably rot on the ground. I know it will be a little tough to split so I would just assume let it rot if it doesn't burn any better than sweetgum. Thoughts, opinions, thanks.

7abeaf1438fcd2f7710d86f943798d47.jpg
Well I cut a load we will see how it does.

Never had either, sweet or black. Not sure they are too common up hear. How does sweet burn?

Well lets hope it's better than that.

I've split a burned quite a bit of both. Between the two black gum splits slightly better and burns a bit better too. Not much in either regard, but it is just a bit better. Both will rot fast if left uncovered . They shred more than split and completely lack any sort of pleasant aroma while cutting, splitting, or burning. Fact is they stink like utter hell. It's a lot of hard work to have rot away on you so if you don't have a dry spot to stack it you might pass. But like I've said before, anything burns better than a snowball. Lasts longer than pine, poplar, or cedar so it's not a total waste of time.

Reactions: StihlKicking
I got around a cord of rounds my buddy dropped off in the Spring, split and stacked now. Probably for next year but it was free, and delivered to my house so...

I don't bother with it. Cost/benefit isn't there. It's a stringy PITA to work with, low BTU payoff. I have a lot of oak nearby though

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.