Burning, burning , burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowy Rivers

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Feb 7, 2010
NW Oregon
Well now

With about 9000## of shells neatly stored away, I feel at ease now for the main winter season.

Already plowed though two 25 gallon plastic drums full and starting into the thrid one.

The weather is not really cold by any stretch but in the Upper 20's F to low 30's at night and 40's F in the day time.

Been very quiet weather wise for the past week and this helps some.

The Big whitfield is runing on low and is on 24 hrs a day now.

Just feels good knowing that I am not going to run short of fuel this winter.

I do hope that we dont get a nasty cold shot spell later though. BRRRRRRRRRR

Real cold weather will see two stoves running..\\\

Later

Snowy

NOAA says you guys in the northwest are going to have below average temps and above avg precip this winter.

Glad your stocked up!

Still kind of warm out this way, Only using a bag every 3 days or so. Supposed to get closer to normal temps by the weekend. Might be closer to a bag a day then.

Warm weather is like money in the bank. Sure hope we get a mild winter! ;-)

j-takeman said:
Still kind of warm out this way, Only using a bag every 3 days or so. Supposed to get closer to normal temps by the weekend. Might be closer to a bag a day then.

I enjoy mild temps too but at the same time, there is a great feeling of satisfaction when its -10 degrees outside and its mid 70's inside. If it stays mild, so be it- but when the weather snaps and the frigid temps come, I will brush it off like a pesky mosquito.

vettechick said:
j-takeman said:

I enjoy mild temps too but at the same time, there is a great feeling of satisfaction when its -10 degrees outside and its mid 70's inside. If it stays mild, so be it- but when the weather snaps and the frigid temps come, I will brush it off like a pesky mosquito.

;-) Using Turmans I bet?

Edit: Oops, Just notice your sig! But of coarse! :)

j-takeman said:
vettechick said:
j-takeman said:

;-) Using Turmans I bet?

Edit: Oops, Just notice your sig! But of coarse! :)
Oh yeah. As far as I am concerned, there's only two kinds of pellets- Turmans and all the others!

I really enjoy the mild weather. Hate ice, but without ice, some men around here get anxious and go out on open water with snowmobiles and drive truck on thin ice. The urge to ice fish is as strong as the migratory habits of birds. Every year there are daring rescues to get people and their equipment out of our lakes, rivers, and ponds. Sad, but all too often they have to wait for a spring thaw to get to them.
Snowy, it seems you are all set for winter to set in. You worked damn hard to get ready and deserve to stay warm. With a few more folks like you, this oil monkey would be off our backs. Hope you get some chance to kick back and enjoy your efforts.

Snowy Rivers said:
Well now

With about 9000## of shells neatly stored away, I feel at ease now for the main winter season.

Already plowed though two 25 gallon plastic drums full and starting into the thrid one.

The weather is not really cold by any stretch but in the Upper 20's F to low 30's at night and 40's F in the day time.

Been very quiet weather wise for the past week and this helps some.

The Big whitfield is runing on low and is on 24 hrs a day now.

Just feels good knowing that I am not going to run short of fuel this winter.

I do hope that we dont get a nasty cold shot spell later though. BRRRRRRRRRR

Real cold weather will see two stoves running..\

Later

Snowy
no disrespect but i hope the cold stays north and west this year .seeing how many shells you got seems like you can handle all the cold this year . or maybe im just being nuts

smilejamaica said:
no disrespect but i hope the cold stays north and west this year .seeing how many shells you got seems like you can handle all the cold this year . or maybe im just being nuts

That's what I'm going with! :) hehe Hey you said it, I'm just agreeing!!! :cheese: :coolsmirk:

j-takeman said:

How are you using such a small amount of pellets? Is it running 24/7? We turned ours off for the day today since it was 60 degrees here.

cuznvin said:
j-takeman said:

How are you using such a small amount of pellets? Is it running 24/7? We turned ours off for the day today since it was 60 degrees here.

I cheat very badly! House temps kept at 72º, But I now only heat the upstairs. Basement is only warmed by my stoves radiant heat. About 6 to 8ºF cooler than the upstairs area. I can't move the stove upstairs, But I sure can move the heat up there. ;-)

I dumped a bag in yesterday afternoon. Still have 2/3 left. Stove only came on this morning for a few hours. Off the rest of the day. Its controlled by a programmable stat. 72º while we are home and 66º while we are away. 68º while we are sleeping. I also have some decent solar during the sunny days thru my windows and slider. Not much but helps.

I probably won't need to dump in another bag until mid-week. ;-)

Even running mine really low, I still go thru more than that. I have the wireless thermostat but have to keep it higher than normal to get the room its in really warm so that the rest of the house warms up.

cuznvin said:
Even running mine really low, I still go thru more than that. I have the wireless thermostat but have to keep it higher than normal to get the room its in really warm so that the rest of the house warms up.

Learn to use some fans to move the air around for you. A good air mix really works wonders. Small box fan facing the stove will create a nice air current.

I take it you heating 2 floors?

j-takeman said:
cuznvin said:

Learn to use some fans to move the air around for you. A good air mix really works wonders. Small box fan facing the stove will create a nice air current.

Yes..trying to.. So, blow the cooler air into the room??

cuznvin said:
j-takeman said:
cuznvin said:

Yes..trying to.. So, blow the cooler air into the room??

Forcing the cool air towards the stove helps. Easier to move the cool air than trying to force the warm air around. Think of your house like a force air furnace. To move the heat you'll need return air to create a convection loop. Some are having good success moving the warm air, But in theory its easier to move the cool air.

There are a few threads here that have info and user input on this subject. Tough using a space heater without moving the air in one way or another. Good winter project if you have nothing else to do. :)

save$ said:
I really enjoy the mild weather. Hate ice, but without ice, some men around here get anxious and go out on open water with snowmobiles and drive truck on thin ice. The urge to ice fish is as strong as the migratory habits of birds. Every year there are daring rescues to get people and their equipment out of our lakes, rivers, and ponds. Sad, but all too often they have to wait for a spring thaw to get to them.
Snowy, it seems you are all set for winter to set in. You worked damn hard to get ready and deserve to stay warm. With a few more folks like you, this oil monkey would be off our backs. Hope you get some chance to kick back and enjoy your efforts.

I've already got the anxious feeling to get back out on the ice! Probably going to have to wait until mid January this year......

I don't drive my vehicle on the ice though. I usually walk but sometimes ride in a friends truck only when there is plenty of ice. Still when I ride it is always with the windows open and seat belt undone.

If I turn it down really low I'll get two days
doesnt do much heat wise but I hate turnig it on and off
rather let it chug along
heating 4600 sq ft
so it never gets to hot inside
2 box fans moving cold air around makes a huge difference
oh, 70 in the house last nite
48 outside
wife opened slider and went to sleep
likes it cold
rarely hit 70 in the winter
but she's happy
so I am happy

28 F this morning.

Just have the big Whit runnig on low and the house is comfortable with the family room at 70F and the far end of the house at about 66.

Clear weather with cold nights the past week.

If it gets any colder I will have to lite up the little whit too.

Snowy

Snowy, are hazelnuts cheaper than pellets by you? What are the btu's of the nuts?
Thanks

We have had several days in the last week with low's in the mid to low 20's. I was having an hard time getting heat into our bedroom (Farthest room from the stove).

I hung a fan in the hallway pointing to the bedroom. I mounted it to the wall right up tight to the ceiling. With in an hour the temp in our bedroom climbed 5 deg.

This morning it was 25 when I woke up. It was 66 in the bedroom with the stove running at 70 on a t-stat. Turn it up to 72 and the bedroom was 70 in less then 30 minutes. Fans can do wonders. Just need to play with placement.

Status
Not open for further replies.