Burning pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iskiatomic

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2008
Central CT
I read a lot of you are burning pine. I always thought pine was a big no no. With all of the sap, I would think you end up with a sticky mess in the flue. Please advise.

hahaha burning pine question has been really beat up lately. It is partially my fault, sorry.

I actually just finished bringing a small truck load into my yard from the back woods. I split and stacked it. The tree was one of my standing dead pines that got chocked out by vines before I moved in here. No sap that I can see in the wood.

This wood is gonna be my OH NO we are getting low on wood, wood. This is my first year burning so I don't know how much wood to expect to burn. I actually have a question at this point but I will but it in the wood shed so the Mods. Don't chase me down!!!!

For many people out west and far north, it's all they have to burn ,and they do just fine as long as the Pine is good and dry.

I have six cords of pine. Cut, split and stacked.
I am gonna burn it all.
My father has burned nothing but pine for 30 years.
As long as its dry, no problem.
We cut only standing dead trees. Split within a few weeks of cutting.

Brad

If you do a search here you'll find page after page on this subject, loaded with ridicule aimed at the East coasters.

Actually researchers have found that burning hardwoods in the east causes mental retardation.

It's a fact.

I'll have to tell all the forests out here to stop that darn pine growth and maybe I'll throw some acorns on the ground since the pine's clogging up my chimney. Should be all set in about what, 60-80 years? Oh wait - the pine beetle's already taking care of it for us!

As Todd mentioned, those of us out west do just fine with pine (it even rhymes). The beetle kill has unfortunately left an enormous number of dead and standing dead trees; so we should have plenty for the next decade or so. Just means more reasons to go play in the woods with the truck and a saw. Darn!

d.n.f. said:
Actually researchers have found that burning hardwoods in the east causes mental retardation.

It's a fact.
:lol:
wheres that beating a dead horse link?

Funk

d.n.f. said:

It's a fact.

It's a proven fact that we don't have to burn anything to become retarded. Some of us are just that way.

We keep on beating the dead horse, but for some reason he keeps on kicking.

If I had no Pine, I could convert my woodstoves to aquariums. Rick

im not sure what to post right now, advocating the burning of pine, or a dripping-with-sarcasm post about how if you burn pine your house will burn down, insurance will deny the claim, you will have to live with your mother in law and will cause you to have hemmroids. Oh, and your daughter will end up pregnant.

Okay, i'll advocate it. I am a first year burner and at first I was told all of the above by my father in law (he also said the same about birch). After discovering the truth, I love pine. I use it in the morning to get the fire nice and hot to warm up the house. I use it for kindling, and next year I plan on using it all through the spring and fall (along woth birch and spruce).

Adios Pantalones said:
To bastardize a phrase from an old punk rock band: "Pine Good, Hitler Bad"

Doesn't Godwin's law state a thread is terminated at the mention of the nasty boy ?

iskiatomic said:
I read a lot of you are burning pine. I always thought pine was a big no no. With all of the sap, I would think you end up with a sticky mess in the flue. Please advise.

The only way to save your house from burning down is to load up your truck or trailer with it and get it off your land immediately by bringing it to me so I can dispose of it properly. Pine will spontaneously combust and the flames can jump hundreds of feet to your house burning it down instantly.

Heres a good one: I was chatting on the phone with my mom, talking about wood burning of course. She is not a wood burner in any way, shape of form. I mentioned something about pine, and she gasped and said YOU BURN THAT??? ITS NO GOOD!!! I spent 15 min schooling her on the subject, and she said my grandfather would be turning in his grave if he heard me say that.

Even non wood burners have heard that mtyh!!

Adios Pantalones said:
Normally that's associated with one forum member comparing another to said crazy man.

Ok, you hardwood Nazis are worse than Hitler.
Can I go back to loading up stove now?

Status
Not open for further replies.