burning still! just a little

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooperdave

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 26, 2010
Michigan's U.P.
woke up to 20f this am with another forecasted for tonight. the last 3 nights were in low 30's. had some plumbing projects to finish at the cottage (home of the nc-13) so off i went and heck yeah! pot of coffee, a little fishing, wood fire in the englander, and knocked off the project. ne wind made for cold hands outside after they get wet.

Dave, I had a small fire this morning also just to take the chill and damp off. Will probably have another one late or just before bed time. We do not have it as cold as you (thankfully) but with the damp (1.4" of rain) and the cold north wind (25-30mph) it can be a bit chilly. We had to go to town today and there is water all over the place and the creeks and rivers are high. More flooding. Then next week is forecast to be hot. A strange spring we are having but this is hard on the farmers.

Backwoods Savage said:
Dave, I had a small fire this morning also just to take the chill and damp off. Will probably have another one late or just before bed time. We do not have it as cold as you (thankfully) but with the damp (1.4" of rain) and the cold north wind (25-30mph) it can be a bit chilly. We had to go to town today and there is water all over the place and the creeks and rivers are high. More flooding. Then next week is forecast to be hot. A strange spring we are having but this is hard on the farmers.

Same show here in Ontario. Stove idling away and the house is a comfortable 71. Outside is a nightmare. Who knows whats coming next......................

Yep, had a small one last night and then again this morning. Warmer weather coming though.

At 88 degrees today I decided maybe I should not have a fire.

I just threw another load of electrons in the air conditioners.

In the 50's a couple weeks ago, now in the high 80's and 90's. I mean yeah winter was long and cold, but this is just too damn hot too damn fast.
Let a guy acclimate to the stuff sheesh. What happened to Spring and 60's and 70's. Guess they cancelled that this year.

BrotherBart said:
At 88 degrees today I decided maybe I should not have a fire.

Had to light another one this morning, bro.

The prediction is funny for the Indy 500. Temperature in the 90's with high humidity. Thunderstorms possible. I'm not so sure I'd want to be in that mass of people with the storms doing as they have been doing this spring. Can't you just imagine the problems with that many people if a storm suddenly were to come up; especially if there might be tornadoes in the area. Nasty thought.

Fire here again this morning. Sunday we are expected to hit 80.

Looks like I'll still be burning through the Memorial Day weekend. Guess I'll be camping in my living room.

Saturday: A chance of showers after 11am. Partly sunny, with a high near 52. Southeast wind 6 to 9 mph becoming west southwest. Chance of precipitation is 50%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Saturday Night: Rain and snow showers after 11pm. Some thunder is also possible. Snow level 4500 feet lowering to 3400 feet. Low around 36. West southwest wind between 5 and 8 mph becoming calm. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

At least you've got altitude to blame for cooler temps. We have been setting daily record low, max temps daily since late March. Currently we are setting records of 15 deg below normal. It's sunny, but 53F outside right now.

Been burning every night all week. At least the cold is keeping most of the black flies away, or is it the smoke from the chimney.
Hard on the farmers indeed. Hard to get field work done when it rains every other day. Corn is late this year. Lotsa fresh grass though.

I should be burning today but I refuse since I cleaned the stove out the other day. Low 50's and rain sure sucks, the dampness gets in your bones!

I lit off a half load earlier. It'll be back in the 80s tomorrow, so I really should be done this time. :lol:

Well it's almost June now... and we're supposed to get 2 inches of snow tomorrow. High for today is 39. As much as I love cold weather & snow, this is really getting old.. especialy at the lower elevations.

BeGreen said:
Memorial Day weekend and Yellowstone has only one campground open. The forecast - expect snow. This is in addition to the 25 ft they have already received in some areas of the park.

http://www.usatoday.com/weather/storms/winter/2011-05-27-memorial-day-snow_n.htm
yep.. winter in the Yellowstone area seems like it just doesn't want to let go this year.. snow melt above 8,000 ft. has hardly even started yet... between record snow at the higher elevations & record flooding at the lower elevations, I wish the best of luck to anyone trying to go for a Memorial Day camping trip around here. Temps 15 degrees below normal aren't helping either.

36f at the lake this a.m. only kept a bit warmer because of all the open water, no doubt. car thermometer reads 49 and its 11:15. supposed to get warm next week (hot)

Fairbanks reporting in, five-thirty in the evening, temp is 84, humidity is 17%. I'm melllllttttttiiinnngggg . . . .

snowleopard said:
Fairbanks reporting in, five-thirty in the evening, temp is 84, humidity is 17%. I'm melllllttttttiiinnngggg . . . .

Now that is a very cruel irony. Trade ya.

snowleopard said:

Hey! We got as cold as Fairbanks today. But with 65% humidity headed for 90% in a couple of days.

BrotherBart said:
snowleopard said:

Hey! We got as cold as Fairbanks today. But with 65% humidity headed for 90% in a couple of days.

Been good and hot here also. Must be Thursday eh BB. :) But this is only May!! What have ya got to say for that one? I am waiting................All ears BB...Waiting....
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.