Burning Suckamore

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr A

Minister of Fire
Nov 18, 2011
N. California
Sycamore. It was crap just last month. Not enough heat to keep up with the cold. Been in the 50's evenings and overnight. I'm starting to get it. This suck grass wood is taking the chill off without overheating. learning the meaning of shoulder season, I guess- first year burner here. Next weeks forecast is in the high 30's low temp, and high 60's- mid 70's. Low BTU wood does come in handy for more than kindling.

But if given the choice I never take shoulder/lesser wood when I can get the good stuff. Better to have it and not need it than the other way around.

Reactions: ScotO
Not enough heat to keep up with the cold.​

I Got a couple cord of it earlier this February, the city trimming all the trees back for the summer months.,
was it really that bad? Lucky for me it was easy to get and pre cut, I had a little to do but it was "free"
I'm not gonna touch the stuff for about two years, was your's good and dry?

Reactions: ScotO
Sycamore is a waterhogging wood. The more time you let it season the better. But its a softer wood, not the BTU's of oak or locust, more like silver maple or cherry.....

Let 'er season as long as you can, the longer the better. I'd say in two years it'd be good to go......three years even better.

Reactions: WeldrDave
Sycamore is a waterhogging wood. The more time you let it season the better. But its a softer wood, not the BTU's of oak or locust, more like silver maple or cherry.....

Let 'er season as long as you can, the longer the better. I'd say in two years it'd be good to go......three years even better.
Great stuff to know Scotty, Thanks... :cool: It was "free" so I'll just sit on it a good while:ZZZ

Status
Not open for further replies.