Burning without glass gasket

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

whoppr

Jan 25, 2013
I have a VC Encore and should have replaced the glass gasket this year as I usually do every couple of years. I didnt get around to it and found the gasket separating between the glass and the door.

What are the risks burning with this partially out until I can get a new gasket and it in? Is it still safe ? A little concerned having the burn run away too hot but glass seems pretty snug still.

Thoughts?

Thanks

I have a VC Encore and should have replaced the glass gasket this year as I usually do every couple of years. I didnt get around to it and found the gasket separating between the glass and the door.

What are the risks burning with this partially out until I can get a new gasket and it in? Is it still safe ? A little concerned having the burn run away too hot but glass seems pretty snug still.

Thoughts?

Thanks
Potential overfire, depending on how loose it is. I was having control issues with my Regency F2400 a number of years ago and couldn't turn the fire down. Turned out the glass was slightly loose on the gasket but was allowing a fair bit of uncontrolled air in the fire box.

sooooo not sure why your considering on burning the stove with out the gaskets in the glass. Amazon will have a replacement gasket set for $40 and you will have it in your hands the next day. and you can install it that night.. so all.your talking about is a 24 hr turn around time. the potential over fire or stove not running correctly is not worth the risk. also. as a stove owner is wouldn't hurt to have a spare gasket set on hand.

Reactions: Ctwoodtick
sooooo not sure why your considering on burning the stove with out the gaskets in the glass. Amazon will have a replacement gasket set for $40 and you will have it in your hands the next day. and you can install it that night.. so all.your talking about is a 24 hr turn around time. the potential over fire or stove not running correctly is not worth the risk. also. as a stove owner is wouldn't hurt to have a spare gasket set on hand.
I already have one on order. I ordered enough to do it more than once, but the delivery was not overnight. Wanted to get something on order and then maybe try a local shop. Might do as you suggest and get one from Amazon as I have not had the energy to enter any store with the holiday weekend and Christmas shopping/Black Friday.

Was just hoping to burn in the interim. Might take me a bit to get the glass out since I think if memory serves me one of the heads of the screws is stripped and may have to get some channel locks around it to get it out. Dont know about other stoves but this gasket on the VC Encore is a pain to put in.

Thanks

I already have one on order. I ordered enough to do it more than once, but the delivery was not overnight. Wanted to get something on order and then maybe try a local shop. Might do as you suggest and get one from Amazon as I have not had the energy to enter any store with the holiday weekend and Christmas shopping/Black Friday.

Was just hoping to burn in the interim. Might take me a bit to get the glass out since I think if memory serves me one of the heads of the screws is stripped and may have to get some channel locks around it to get it out. Dont know about other stoves but this gasket on the VC Encore is a pain to put in.

Thanks
its not a pain to put in20 minutes per door glass.. i have a 2040 and just did mine the first week in october

its not a pain to put in20 minutes per door glass.. i have a 2040 and just did mine the first week in october
I must not have my technique down well then. Sometimes I can do it pretty quickly. Other times I cannot seem to keep the gasket from slipping out of the channel when I put the glass in. I replace them every couple years and maybe I just dont have a good method down. I have the 2550 so its probably similar to 2040.

When I place the glass down, gasket seems to squeeze out sometimes or slip. Or have a tough time to get it to lie in the channel straight. Takes me sometimes a few tries. Sometimes push it in the a Popsicle stick or screwdriver.