Burning wood stove in the warm weather

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RoosterBoy

Jul 5, 2006
CT
hay guys just a update i got a bran new Avalon Olympic free standing wood stove and just started the brake in fire yesterday it was warm outside and the stove was drafting good my problem is when i damper the stove down to choke the air i don't see the fire choking like it did in the store. could it be because the warm weather and the chimney is feeding the stove with air?

i can slide the ait control damper in and out and i don't see a change. in the fire's flame is anyone else haveing this problem this time of year i dont need to run the stove now because it's still in the 70's but i was just trying the stove out because it was new

thank you
Jason

not shure a break in fire will tell the tale. If your slide damper isnt working on a established fire then either your slider is not functioning properly, or you have too tall a chimney. You cant realy tell anything from a break in fire, it should be small enough that you wouldnt need to choke it down. It can take 5 minutes for the stove to react, and obvioiulsy make shure any ashpans, sideloads, and front doors are shut properly.

RoosterBoy said:
hay guys just a update i got a bran new Avalon Olympic free standing wood stove and just started the brake in fire yesterday it was warm outside and the stove was drafting good my problem is when i damper the stove down to choke the air i don't see the fire choking like it did in the store. could it be because the warm weather and the chimney is feeding the stove with air?

i can slide the ait control damper in and out and i don't see a change. in the fire's flame is anyone else haveing this problem this time of year i dont need to run the stove now because it's still in the 70's but i was just trying the stove out because it was new
with about the same tem inside as outside there is no pressure gradient like when it is cold If smoke assends it will be real lazy and one may not notice the fire glow when you primary air is opened full. It will be cold soon enough and stove preformance and drafts will improve
thank you
Jason

you guys are right it's working better tonight because it's cooler out. my problem is when i damper it at 400F i close it way down it starts smoking allot more maybe my wood is not 100 percent seasoned either but by the time i go to damper the stove about 1/2 hr after starting the fire and it looks like the wood is almost gone :) all glowing red i just have not figured out how to use the stove properly yet. with my old Vermont casting the door was always closed and you could not see inside.

also someone told me that my wood stove should produce Little fine ash mine looks like it has black chunks in it like it did not do a complete burn of all the wood i suspect that my be a good sign my wood is not quite seasoned yet?

thanks
Jason

I am getting the same thing in my new rainier. It burns great but I wished that I got the Olympic because of the greater burn time. I am actually looking into haveing them bring in the Olympic and switching the stoves out. How do you like yours overall..I also get the larger black chunks. I have been told that you need to burn the stove really hot for an extended period of time to reduce those..I now will open my stove all the way up (no damper closed) and let her really fire..Works better..

Status
Not open for further replies.