Burning your stove without the catalyst

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Woodsplitter67

Minister of Fire
Jan 19, 2017
Woolwich nj
The 2n1 stove series of stoves are extremely unique. The most recent stoves are marketed as burning with or without the catalyst as well as other features im not discussing right now.

I have always recommended.. especially for newer users .. to burn with the catalyst in. The stove is sold with or without catalyst.. purchase with the catalyst installed

The catalyst helps in a number of different ways. The most important being that it burns the smoke as fuel keeping the chimney/stovepipe cleaner and producing more heat. The other advantages are that you are able to turn down the stove quite low getting long burn times and low heat. The low heat aspect is great when your heat demand is not really high. The catalyst will also keep your flue temperatures up, when your flue temperature stays up your downdraft stove stays running and you avoid the stove stalling on you. Your stove stalling is a bad thing this creates alot of creosote

Burning without a catalyst in the stove can be done, and I occasionally do it. The 2 methods are, just not closing the bypass or removing the catalyst and burning the stove as if the catalyst was in and closing the bypass.

You can burn the stove with the damper open and burn with just a small fire keeping the air above halfway should have a clean burn without overheating the stove. This method is a little tough because if you add to much wood your turning the air down to much and your creating creosote. This method would be you adding 1 split, allowing it to burn down and adding another, and so on.. your feeding the stove small amounts on a more frequent basis

The other method is burning with the bypass closed and no catalyst. This I have also done. You can have some wood in the stove. For me no more then like 20% capacity You get the stove up to temperature and close the bypass and to a certain degree you can cut some air back maybe halfway max and this will depend on how the stove performs. If you add to much wood you'll be forced to cut the air back way more and youll be producing smoke. Some of this smoke will burn up between the refractory and the refractory engine, but not all of it. This will start to lead to creosote build up. Also this stove is a downdraft design, draft is key and when the catalyst is not in you will start to lose draft and as you do you will create more smoke. Any wood you add to the stove will go through the offgassing process.

I know this for sure and nobody can tell me any different. When my catalyst is in and burning between 1000 and 1400 degree with a full load and Im doing an overnight burn with the air all the way closed the stove stayed running because the catalyst was in.

Iv also have had cats go bad and its an ugly seen inside the stove when you open it up in the morning. Draft was non existent and you have alot of charcoal in the box

There is a member here saying that there is a debate on weather or not you can burn with out the catalyst. The answer is you can to some degree. This member has spoken to loading the stove to something like halfway or more.. You can't do this, because of the following.. amount of offgassing, the stove top temperature will be excessive because you cant dial the air back alot which means cutting the air back even more, this is creating more smoke. This is a bad cycle to be in.. if you need less heat you can't turn the stove down all the way without it turning into a creosote machine.

These stove have so many advantages, they put out a ton of heat, they look fantastic, they burn for a good amount of time and they top load, they burn clean. they burn low.

Removing the catalyst is removing some of the best features of the stove.. which are a longer burn time, lower heat output.

So.. Guys and gals.. burn with the catalyst in, get all of the advantages of the stove. Dont let anyone tell you anything different..

Hope this helps

I can understand why it could be appealing to burn the stove without the catalyst in after reading through these threads and some of my own experiences. As is obvious, people do struggle with properly running these down draft stoves, myself included. If someone is at their wits end, decides to pull out the cat and gets a less stressful burn a few times, that is a direct correlation with decision/reward. Take this out, stove appears to run better, I feel better, keep doing that.

I have not run the stove for any long burns without the catalyst in. I don't plan to do that since the reason I got the stove was to get as much out of it as I can. At this point, my biggest challenge is the inverse relationship of my STT creeping up too high after my cat peaks and starts to come down. I haven't found that sweet spot yet for a good primary air setting.

Maybe you need to monitor flue temps more than stove top temps when running in non cat mode?

Reactions: weee123
I just want to re-iderate what woodsplitter said: " flue temps and chimney pipe draft is the major key to these stoves!"
A leaky stove is it's own seperate issue (yes, I have had this issue myself).
It's a balance of temperatures and it can be done successfully. It took me a full season with my current VC and I have it figured out!

Removing the catalyst is removing some of the best features of the stove.. which are a longer burn time, lower heat output.
And from what I can tell, a better behaved, less finicky to operate stove.

Reactions: Hbob
We have a 30 plus old Encore that came with the house. The stove is in good shape but they previous owners modified the stove so a catalyst cannot be put in. Sounds like they had issues burning it right and ruining catalysts. The piece they put in where the catalyst slides in from the back of the stove (older Encore's installed catalyst from the back after removing lots of shields etc) is part way inside the stove and it looks like it was used to divert hot gases up the flue since the catalyst was not going to be used anymore. Was this a hack back in the day to run stove without catalyst...before they redesigned into a "flex" stove where you could use it or not without modifications?

We have a 30 plus old Encore that came with the house. The stove is in good shape but they previous owners modified the stove so a catalyst cannot be put in. Sounds like they had issues burning it right and ruining catalysts. The piece they put in where the catalyst slides in from the back of the stove (older Encore's installed catalyst from the back after removing lots of shields etc) is part way inside the stove and it looks like it was used to divert hot gases up the flue since the catalyst was not going to be used anymore. Was this a hack back in the day to run stove without catalyst...before they redesigned into a "flex" stove where you could use it or not without modifications?
It might go under stupid owner tricks, setting the stove back a decade or more.

Just out of curiosity.... is much of the heat created by a hot catalyst captured by the stove as btu output to the room , or, due to its location behind the main firebox, does most of it go up the pipe? I understand it is mostly downside to not use the catalyst and will always use one when the new Encore is installed. Is the extra heat coming from the catalyst zone or from a better slow efficient burn in the main box due to using the catalyst?

Just out of curiosity.... is much of the heat created by a hot catalyst captured by the stove as btu output to the room , or, due to its location behind the main firebox, does most of it go up the pipe? I understand it is mostly downside to not use the catalyst and will always use one when the new Encore is installed. Is the extra heat coming from the catalyst zone or from a better slow efficient burn in the main box due to using the catalyst?
There is some debate on this. I believe it has a lot to do with which stove in paticular and where the Cat is orientated compared to the flu outlet.
In my case on the Dauntless 2n1:
I did some very vague tests when I first got my stove. It did not come with the catylist and I had to order that. So I burned for about 2 months without it.
When I got my Catylist and installed it, I only noticed a slight increase in temperature on the back top vents of about 100f over the stt. Does this do a better job at heating the room? IDK, that's really hard for me to figure out.
For me, the cat just allows me to burn longer and at a slightly reduced primary air setting....

There is some debate on this. I believe it has a lot to do with which stove in paticular and where the Cat is orientated compared to the flu outlet.
In my case on the Dauntless 2n1:
I did some very vague tests when I first got my stove. It did not come with the catylist and I had to order that. So I burned for about 2 months without it.
When I got my Catylist and installed it, I only noticed a slight increase in temperature on the back top vents of about 100f over the stt. Does this do a better job at heating the room? IDK, that's really hard for me to figure out.
For me, the cat just allows me to burn longer and at a slightly reduced primary air setting....
The difference in Hbob's case vs the Dauntless without the cat is that it sounds like in the cobbled stove, there is no secondary combustion. Most of the heat and unburnt wood gases head up the flue. In the Dauntless without the cat there is still robust secondary combustion in the refractory engine (afterburner). The cat follows this secondary combustion with the final cleanup for even more thorough combustion.

Reactions: sargeott and Hbob
FWIW you can read my thread about burning without the cat. I often wonder where all of that heat of the cat goes as the flue temp drops and the STT drops with the cat engaged. Even with the cat over 1000 the STT gets no hotter and neither does the flue. Have to keep the air down to keep the cat controlled so room doesn't get any warmer.

So the advantage of the cat is 2 fold.. allowing the user to burn low and not create creosote, and there is a heat benefit off of the back of the stove. I can definitely say as an encore owner heat is coming off of the stove . As an owner of the stove.. heat from the catalyst is not why I'm using it.. Its predominantly to keep the house more comfortable.. a more even steady heat and the clean burn.. the added efficiency is just a small bonus

Not heating the house up and having to open windows, not having to restart all the time and stretch out the BTUs. There is a pretty big savings in labor.. as I process my own wood. if your purchasing your wood.. theres a savings that is added to the more efficient side.. Face it.. if you had the opportunity to save yourself from processing or purchasing an extra half cord.. would you take that as a advantage.. I know I would..