Burnpot filled with pellets

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wally1234

Sep 5, 2010
CT
When I turn on my harmon52i on... The burnpot is filled with pellets and it pushes pellets in to my ashtray ...after heat gets going I will have that 1inch burnt ash from top of burnpot, but seems like the burnt pellets could have burned alittle more before being pushed out. I even tinkered around and made my feed limit down to 2.5 (from 4).

Yes I clean my unit, heat exchanger,burnpot, under burnpot. Burning lacrete softwoods.

I will say this, once my stove ran on empty, when I filled it with pelletes I had it on test mode for 60 seconds then placed it back on temp(per the manual, if ran empty, put in test mode). Feed limit was on 4. This is when it started to act up.

6074127f8a34407ca0343255f34f9697.jpg

Update, after a while I do have the regular 1 inch of burnt ash. Looks like my problem is only at startup with the over flow.

May need to reduce the feed time on start up. I had to do the same on my PC45 as I was getting fuel fed till it was just about to the end of the feed tray and once lit was making for a very large rolling fire. Search for dip switch settings and then you may adjust accordingly. A reduction of 15 seconds feed time on start makes for a big difference.

I forgot what ESP meant....the probe?

Do you think the TEST mode screwed it up? Any chance anyone on the forums knows which dip switches I need to toggle?

Exhaust sensor probe.
I did a search on this site for dip switch settings a couple weeks ago to reduce my stoves startup feed.
Turning the pot switch all the way to the stop to put the stove into test mode may have just jostled the switch enough to screw things up. I just replaced that switch as it would no longer allow me to go into test mode.

I found the info. "Dipswitch Function Harman Stoves" by F4jock
Using the search function will get you to the info

The next time your stove is off, do a hard reset, which is stove off, unplug from the wall for one minute, and plug it back in. See how it acts then. The filling of the burnpot is a timed cycle set by the dip switches. If the stove worked fine prior to this, I suspect it's something else.

I never use test mode on startup.
Neither do I, but I use it after the daily brush down of the exchangers etc and if I take a bit to long the fire needs a boost to keep the stove from going into shutdown as the ESP thinks the fire is out. OP used per manual the test mode to fill his auger etc after running out of fuel.
The stove may go back to its old self after as 007 suggested "a hard reset"

I have a 52i also and this happens to me when the holes in my burn pot start clogging up. On start up it takes longer for ignition so my pot fills up and starts to push pellets out. Once it gets going it settles back down to normal. I usually find that the holes way down in the pot are clogged but the holes towards the front are not. Might be worth a try to take a look.

Reactions: bogieb
I have seen this as well. Normally, after about a ton and 24/7 run time for a while. The following resolved it for me:
Shutdown and unplug the stove from power.
Give is s good solid cleaning, make sure all holes in the burn pot are open (I also see the bottom ones clog)
This fixed my issue. Fired up with same pellets and it's like new. I suspect the board needs a good reboot now and then. I call it the monthly service but it should be done every 50-60 bags. If you run full blast for a while you can actuly see how the efficiency is reduced as the stove gets dirtier, until eventually it starts spilling over and can't keep up with the feed rate. If this does not work, you may have another combustion resulted issue.

Thanks all... I'll try a hard reboot n I will try to unclog the holes. Guilty of that but I have cleaned it a few times (throughly)

Did a reboot n so far looking good. Thanks all... I'll keep everyone posted if it changes and I will no longer use test mode!

Status
Not open for further replies.