Burnt Rubber smell

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 16, 2014
MO
Got a call from the wife saying our insert (vc winterwarm small) smelled like burnt rubber so i drive home to inspect (only 10 min drive). I smelled faint burnt plastic/rubber smell from the top of the insert. Thermometer said it was 250, it's on the door so I factor in another 150 so I'm guessing about 400 actual temp and down to ashes. Check the screen under the insert and its clogged so I vacuumed it clean. The blowers obviously work better than they were but they hadn't quit working all together. Smell is gone and I reloaded. Best I could figure was a blower may have gotten hot due to not being able to suck in air but like I said, it hadn't quit all together. Any other ideas?

It sounds like it would be a good idea to completely clean the blowers including the motor and fan blades. Look for any sign of melted plastic. Oil the motor if at all possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.