Butternut worth it?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Drabe95

Oct 30, 2017
CNY
I have a butternut that has succumbed to the canker and is 95% dead. As soon as this white stuff disappears, I am going to take it down. I see that it doesn't do well in the BTUs. Is it worth CSS for the stove or bonfire material? I don't wanna put all the effort for nothing

good kindling...

If it is coming down anyways.....and it is easy to get to, i would burn it. It would be good for shoulder season, and it is free........

Reactions: nrford
I take all wood thats easy to get, if you had to haul it through the woods and transport it, id say leave it, if its in my yard or my neighbors it goes in the wood pile.

Reactions: JimBear
I dont know what Butternut is.. what I will say...

I dont burn White Oak or Beech in early fall or early spring... I also dont burn Tulip Poplar on an overnight load during a blizzard in Feb either..