buy new Dutchwest, or make do ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RustyShackleford

Minister of Fire
Jan 6, 2009
NC
This question may be too open-ended for a reasonable answer, but here goes ...

I have been heating with a "large" (really medium) Dutchwest Federal heater for
20 years and am very pleased. However, the stove is getting a bit "long in the
tooth" and I am wondering whether to replace it. I have an issue of smokey
odor in the house during low burns:

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/32597/

... which I suspect is due to leaky seals around the stove plates. Also, due to
my bad habit of over-firing, the seating area for the catalytic combustor, and the
grate below it, are badly warped/cracked/etc.

So I'm tempted to spring for the Dutchwest 2461 (which looks like the updated
version of my stove). It's a bit of a plunge at $1500 plus or minus, but I can afford
it and I save tons of LP gas and electricity, get a higher quality of life with the heat
of wood, and $1500 for 20 years of use seems pretty reasonable. So I'm at peace
with spending the dough.

But there are a few things I've heard about the new model that trouble me (a buddy
has one, on my rec, and loves it). First, apparently you cannot get to the catalyst
simply by lifting off a gasketed plate; you have to actually remove the top section
of the stove; I mean, WTF ? Why did they do this ? I thought it was standard
procedure to gently clean the combustor from time to time and this makes it a
major chore. Second, I've heard the new stoves are made in China, and that
hardly inspires confidence; I don't want to spend a pile of money to get a stove
that is newer but intrinsically not as well made.

It's time to act, because the old stove badly needs a new combustor now, but why
spend the money if Im gonna get a new stove.

Anyhow, I'd appreciate you'alls' thoughts on this conundrum ...

I was in the same boat i had the EX large stove and really liked it . I needed 800 bucks worth of parts to make the stove like new again . I just went with a HS Equinox @ 125,000 BTU i needed a larger stove on real cold days . I think you could still get the old models i know the DW EX large stove is identical to mine .
I just sprung for the new stove i did not want to deal with a emergency . John

Sounds like a real pita for cat maintenance, is that what the manual states, removal of the top? There are other great cat stoves out there, shop around.

wellbuilt home said:
I think you could still get the old models i know the DW EX large stove is identical to mine .

Are you sure that the extra-large (of which you speak) doesn't require the top to be
removed to get to the combustor ?

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Remove four bolts, 7/16 I think, set the top off, set aside a block of insulating material and you are at the cat, about a 15 minute job. The top has a gasket so no problem sealing when reinstalling.

I agree with Pine Knot. It's really pretty easy (though the ribbon gasket will likely need to be replaced at least every other time you open it). I don't know that I'd ever buy another DW though. I had some issues with mine that I wouldn't want to have again.

Your old Dutchwest Federal was made in Taiwan. All indications are that the new ones are cast at the Vermont Castings foundry in Vermont.

RustyShackleford said:
wellbuilt home said:
I think you could still get the old models i know the DW EX large stove is identical to mine .

Are you sure that the extra-large (of which you speak) doesn't require the top to be
removed to get to the combustor ?

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I guess you do have to remove the top plate . It only 4 bolts , and it makes it easier to clean it out . I think the DW was a great stove at the time it was the largest cast stove i could find . My wife liked the VC defiant but i would not buy from them now . My HS Equinox is nice but burns way more wood then the DW . I think the house is warmer but I'm cold sitting in my TV chair 5 feet away . John

Status
Not open for further replies.