buy pellets now or wait?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pur pony

Nov 1, 2011
Eastern CT
Hi all... that time of year is fastly approaching and cant wait to start using the stove again. Last year was the first year with it and really enjoyed it. I have a Hampton GCI60 insert and burned the following last year- 1 Ton Greene team, 1 Ton Green Supreme, and 1 Ton Stove Chow. To tell the honest true... didnt really notice that much difference between them and they all burned and kept the house warm. I paid $209 per ton last year for each brand..... I noticed alot of people are seeing pricing rise to the $219-$239 range per ton... but everything i am seeing thats in stock now in CT is still $209. I remember reading last year that the big box stores had them for $190 a ton for a few weeks last year before going to $209 and was wondering if any of them would be doing that again and around what time? Or is the $209 im seeing going to rise to $219-$229 before long?
Which leads me to my original question... should I buy 3-4 tons now or wait and see what happens before the cold weather sets in?

IMO, prices already went up from what I can see. You missed the sales... buying now vs later probably won't matter anywhere but at the big box stores and their supplies of medicracy.

Reactions: Lousyweather
Already got mine. At this point, Id only grab from a box store if I see something really cheap of good.

CTpellet and BT still have a few deals. But ya better hurry. CTpellets facebook had "$107.23 Go,Go,Go" so you know what that means! ;em Box store prices will most likely ride the season unless we see an oddity.

IMHO better to stash now and have no worries, Than wait and worry. Maybe a split decision, buy half now?

Around my area prices are up about $10-15 over the 'early season buy' prices at the non box stores and are very close, if not the same as they were last season.

I'd heed Jays advice and get them while the prices are decent. I can't imagine prices will go down at all.

We had two major retailers have a sale on pellets this week. I brought home 2 tons today and will get 2 tomorrow. Figures that we have had below normal temps for a month and now it goes to over 90 degrees to stay for at least a week.

CTpellet and BT still have a few deals. But ya better hurry. CTpellets facebook had "$107.23 Go,Go,Go" so you know what that means! ;em ?

Looking at his page, don't see the comment, don't know what it means either....

Half pallet of last years stock

CTpellet and BT still have a few deals. But ya better hurry. CTpellets facebook had "$107.23 Go,Go,Go" so you know what that means! ;em Box store prices will most likely ride the season unless we see an oddity.

IMHO better to stash now and have no worries, Than wait and worry. Maybe a split decision, buy half now?
Looking at his page, don't see the comment, don't know what it means either....

$107.23 is the going price of oil/barrel.

scotts page.JPG

The Home Depot in North Windham has Green Supreme for $219. I would buy now as they usually don't go down at this time of year. You might want to try some of the higher quality pellets to see if you change your mind about cheaper pellets vs more expensive ones. I burned NEWPs when I first got my stove, and actually they weren't cheap. I remember thinking cleaning this often is a pain in the rear. I tried out Turman and enjoy my stove much more, less maintenance, better heat. You wouldn't notice a difference between those 3 because they are pretty alike in quality. In any case, I would buy now.

Where did you see the Stove Chow in Eastern CT? Pretty please???? And buy 'em now, damn it! Inflation. Inflation. Inflation......

$107.23 is the going price of oil/barrel.

View attachment 109005

Ok, his PERSONAL page, not his work page.

Hey, if they ever close the strait of hormuz with all the turmoil over there, $180+ a barrel, and by by economy. Be a collapse in days when gasoline hits $ 8.00 a gallon.

I stopped in at my local stove shop last week to check on prices and ended up ordering my season's stash. Got six tons of Turmans @ $220 a ton. Was told at the shop that their prices were going up across the board at the end of the month. I also had to take delivery by the end of the month to get that price.

"that time of year is fastly approaching and cant wait to start using the stove again"

If I never had to start mine again i'd be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.