buying a new wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thank you everybody. Great information. My lovely wife wants a cast iron and looks like she will get what she wants....again. lol i will let everyone know which one I get, and if you are all nice, maybe even a pic. lol

Show her some of the cast iron jacketed stoves too if you want a heart of steel. These would be the Napoleon 1600C, Quadrafire Cumberland Gap, Pacific Energy T5 or T6, Jotul F50 or F55, Enviro Boston, etc..

I have been burning cast iron for over 40 years Jotul, VC, Hearthone, Waterford, Reginald and old junk and have had a very few problems, stay away from cats.

I have been burning cast iron for over 40 years Jotul, VC, Hearthone, Waterford, Reginald and old junk and have had a very few problems, stay away from cats.

Why stay away from cats? Sure they can have their own problems if used incorrectly, but if used properly they are a great idea. My next stove will have a cat.

Reactions: Swedishchef
Ok, I think I have found a stove. Looking at a Vermont castings, Dutch West 2462. Now What can everyone tell me about their experience with Catalytic vs Non catalytic stove. I have good hard wood and realize the need to burn GOOD seasoned wood. But are there any issues or maintenance issues? Any heads up advise?

I hit 800 once or twice by simply leaving the air wide open and not shutting it down in time. Doesnt necessarily have to be a leak or open door.
Logger that has happened to me twice and it was because I did not set the timer to come back and close down air. Now I set the timer if I am not going to be close to the stove. I was worried as the stove top read 800f but by getting the primary air closed it came down to around its normal 550 ish, but I was quite worried at the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.