Buying another saw: Husky 365 or 562xp

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Hank_612

Jan 13, 2018
Southern IL
I have run a 590 562 and 362. I own a 562 and moms boyfriend had a 362 bought at the same time I bought my 562 in 2016. Only people who own echos will even compare the three saws. A 362 is a legit comparison and a fine saw. Some prefer "grunt" and some a saw that feels like it pulls higher rpm in the cut. A 562 feels lighter and smoother to me. It also feels faster than the 362 with a 20 inch bar 3/8 .50 rs chain.

After 10 tanks and a muffler mod my 562 felt 20% faster. My 562 wears a 18 in bar now and full chisel chain. It rips and makes me smile every time I use it. Unless I choke the darn thing when it's warm.

I also have a 346xp ne with a mm and 16 inch 3/8 .50. I would put money on it every day cutting say 14 inch oak against my neighbors 590 with a mm. Even the owner of that saw would not put it in the same class as a 362 or 562. And yes they are broke in and tuned........

Reactions: Neurotoxin

Neurotoxin

Jan 26, 2019
Northern Ontario
Going to retire my old 371xp for a new 562xp soon. Wouldn't bat an eye if I had to only go with the 365 if I didn't have enough cash.

salecker

Minister of Fire
Aug 22, 2010
Northern Canada
Going to retire my old 371xp for a new 562xp soon. Wouldn't bat an eye if I had to only go with the 365 if I didn't have enough cash.
Retire...
What does that mean to you?Trade in? Put under the bench and forget it?Sell it?
Just curious because i rebuild saws as a hobby,might be interested if you want rid of it.

Neurotoxin

Jan 26, 2019
Northern Ontario
Sell it. Use the cash towards new saw. We get good money for used saws i my neck of the woods. Whereabouts are you located?

woodhog73

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2016
Somewhere cold !

Why would you get rid of a 371xp for a new 365 Xtorq ? The new saw has inferior crank bearings with plastic cages outsourced to Asia as opposed to
Swedish made crank bearings in your older XP ?? Plus the 365 Xtorq is heavier and has less power. The cylinder porting is less aggressive as well. This makes no sense.

371xp is pre EPA and a bulit proof saw if well maintained. Don’t sell it.

Swede saw fan since I was a teenager. I’m almost 50 now and have had most Swede saws made over the years.

The only 365 I would want is a special from the 1990s. It’s 65cc and very high reving. Light and powerful for a medium duty saw.

I bought a Jonny 2166 Xtorq ( same as 365 Xtorq ) and was an overweight dog. I ground the transfer to make it into a 2172 Xtorq. It’s now a decent saw. But it’s heavy and no where as well constructed as a 371 or 372 XP

Neurotoxin

Jan 26, 2019
Northern Ontario
Why would you get rid of a 371xp for a new 365 Xtorq ? The new saw has inferior crank bearings with plastic cages outsourced to Asia as opposed to
Swedish made crank bearings in your older XP ?? Plus the 365 Xtorq is heavier and has less power. The cylinder porting is less aggressive as well. This makes no sense.

371xp is pre EPA and a bulit proof saw if well maintained. Don’t sell it.

Swede saw fan since I was a teenager. I’m almost 50 now and have had most Swede saws made over the years.

The only 365 I would want is a special from the 1990s. It’s 65cc and very high reving. Light and powerful for a medium duty saw.

I bought a Jonny 2166 Xtorq ( same as 365 Xtorq ) and was an overweight dog. I ground the transfer to make it into a 2172 Xtorq. It’s now a decent saw. But it’s heavy and no where as well constructed as a 371 or 372 XP

Humm didn’t realize the new one is no good. The 365 special is the only 365 I used (my uncles) it’s awesome! I guess I assumed that if anything the newer 365 would be just as good or better. Maybe stick with going down to the 562xp for the reduced weight.

Zack R

Feeling the Heat
Sep 27, 2017
Sisters, OR
flic.kr
Humm didn’t realize the new one is no good. The 365 special is the only 365 I used (my uncles) it’s awesome! I guess I assumed that if anything the newer 365 would be just as good or better. Maybe stick with going down to the 562xp for the reduced weight.

I wouldn't say its no good, its just that the older ones are better. You really can't go wrong either way.

mellow

Resident Stove Connoisseur
Jan 19, 2008
Salisbury, MD
I had the 365 special, I ran a 20" bar on that thing and it ran like a champ, mine was stolen so if you come across one it might be mine. I loved that saw, I would not hesitate to buy another one, I did not feel the need to upgrade it.

I kid you not, I won my 365 special back in a govdeals auction, it has been sitting in storage for the past 5 years at the Police dept. They would not release it to me since I did not have the serial number even though I had pictures of it that matched. Ohh well, it sometimes pays to keep an eye out for stolen items, even 5 years later! Can't wait to put it back to work!

20221123_213540714_iOS.jpg

Reactions: sloeffle

duramaxman05

Minister of Fire
Aug 17, 2014
Perryville, Mo
I would buy a simple carburetorated saw. I have a 550xp and love the saw but not a fan of autotune. The father in law has had several autotunes and a stihl 462 mtronic. Mine s finicky and my father in law says the same. I found that mine doesn't like heat. That's when it gives me the most crap. When they are running right, they are hard to beat. I found my regular carburetorated saws don't give me any crap and always start and run.

ericm979

Burning Hunk
Nov 2, 2018
California
I like my Mtronic Stihls. The one issue with them is that if you run the saw hard and cut the ignition and then go to start it while it's still hot, it will be too rich and won't start. You can either start it with the throttle open to lean it out, or the better solution is to let it idle for 5 seconds or so before turning the ignition off. Which is probably a good idea anyhow to cool the engine down. Sometimes I forget.

Other than that they have worked flawlessly. They always run like a perfectly tuned regular carb saw.

I have not used Husqvarna's version but I see more complaints about it.

Reactions: duramaxman05

duramaxman05

Minister of Fire
Aug 17, 2014
Perryville, Mo
What’s the long term consensus on the 562XP ?
I would say it would be fine. I know they came a long way since it came out. The average firewood cutter would probably never wear one out. That's the good thing with pro saws. Pay the money up front but get a good long lasting saw. Maintenance and a sharp chain is key.