Buying Parts for Older Wood Stoves

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Rcksblr

Dec 3, 2019
WA
Hey all - Is there any good sites for purchasing parts for older wood stoves? I am looking to purchase an older Blaze King (open to others as well) and before I pull the trigger on anything I would like to see how available parts are for those older models. Thanks in advance.

How old are you considering? Parts for stoves 20-30 yrs old are easier to get than those for stoves that are older. It also depends on the stove brand. Some older stoves like some Lopis, PEs and I think Hearthstones can be updated with more modern components. If you have a specific Blaze King in mind, call their tech support to see if the parts are available.

Woodmans Parts Plus is a pretty good supplier of older stove parts too.

Reactions: D. Hermit
How old are you considering? Parts for stoves 20-30 yrs old are easier to get than those for stoves that are older. It also depends on the stove brand. Some older stoves like some Lopis, PEs and I think Hearthstones can be updated with more modern components. If you have a specific Blaze King in mind, call their tech support to see if the parts are available.

Woodmans Parts Plus is a pretty good supplier of older stove parts too.

Thank you!

If the stove is ours and made prior to 1988, we will have no parts. If the part needed was used between 1988 and 2000, and common to multiple models, there is a chance, however slight.

If the stove is ours and made prior to 1988, we will have no parts. If the part needed was used between 1988 and 2000, and common to multiple models, there is a chance, however slight.

Thanks. From time to time I come across an older KEJ 1001 or PEJ. I did find a few sites offer the combustor but that’s about it. When I called the Walla Walla store they said they had handles for them. But that’s all I have been able to find.
Do most people who need parts for these older ones just find other used ones for replacement parts?

Many times you can make your own. There are universal spring handles, glass, make your own hinge pins, universal gasket. Not all use common size bricks, some requiring cast shapes that become a project in itself. Cast iron requires a forge to cast your own part from the original or make your own wood pattern first. Stove collecting and repair becomes a hobby of metal working just like my steam hobby became more machining of parts than rebuilding steam engines. Little did I know I would end up with 3 phase lathes and milling machines to be able to resurface steam tight parts and need ultrasonic thickness testing equipment on a yearly basis and a hydro pump just to keep inspections current. You’ll only need a grinder, drill, taps and dies, torch or welder, to fix most anything stove related. If you’re rebuilding a collector stove or antique you want original, it takes years to find one like it to cannibalize for what you need. There are a few people to get to know for different brand parts. If you’re in a hurry for a user, buy something ready to go.

Thanks. From time to time I come across an older KEJ 1001 or PEJ. I did find a few sites offer the combustor but that’s about it. When I called the Walla Walla store they said they had handles for them. But that’s all I have been able to find.
Do most people who need parts for these older ones just find other used ones for replacement parts?
Often in wrecking yards..