Buying wood insert but what brand has a faceplate that allows for a gap

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

jbick1

Nov 2, 2022
Southeastern CT
As mentioned in a previous post im
Shopping for a wood insert for my fireplace and am restricted by of course what’s in stock (nothing) but also by the fire box depth. I have the width and height for larger units but i have just 16 1/2 deep. I was ready to pull the trigger on a Regency i2450 because i was told that the add-on faceplate would account for the small gap at the front. Of course now the salesman says he never said that and I’m at square 1 again. Any body know of a make that may have a plate that would allow me to put a larger unit other than the small models in this hole? Help!
E161A338-D6E1-4D00-A252-F5C42DFC9E38.jpeg

Am I understanding the issue correctly in that the surround around the insert that covers the fireplace doesn’t go high enough and leaves a little gap?

You can get custom surrounds.

Yes. Ideally i would do it with a stock surround because I’m sure custom will take much longer. I could seal the gap with some type of masonry too-brick marble etc but I’d rather keep cost down.

You're right, 10-15 yrs ago we saw a lot more Napoleon stoves here. Wolf Steel has been making value wood stoves for a long time. The s25i is a conventional design, and the depth is adjustable down to 14 3/8". It should get the job done. The hearth will need an extension in front to meet requirements. It needs 19" in front of the stove door. And the mantel may need shielding, depending on the design.

If you can post a picture of the full fireplace and mantel we can see if there are other areas that need to be addressed.