What kind of wood burning insert to get in Victoria BC

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rachelemason

Nov 11, 2023
Victoria BC
Hi there. I am trying to decide what kind of wood burning stove insert to buy for my fireplace. I live in Victoria BC. We previously used our fireplace just for open burning, but now want to move to an insert to reduce smoke and increase efficiency. We are not planning to use it primarily as a source of heat - more just for being cozy around the fire on those long winter rainy evenings and weekends. Our main floor where the fireplace will be is about 1300 square feet. Our firebox is fairly small so we are limited to smaller units.

We have done some research and narrowed it down to three options. I would love to hear anyone's experience with either of these options (positive or negative):
The pacific energy Neo 1.6 insert (6.5K)
The regency classic i1150 (8.4K)
The lopi answer (9.2K)

As far as I can see from my research they are all pretty comparable in their functionality. If so, I think we will get the Neo 1.6 since it is much less expensive and locally made on Vancouver Island. My main concern is not having smoke in the house, and the Neo sounds like it is pretty good for this as long as installed and used correctly.

I would appreciate any input from other users! Thank you, Rachel

Sounds like a good choice. PE is right up in Duncan.

No argument here, that would be my choice too.

Being able to support a top tier manufacturer right in your back yard for a much lower price is a bonus too.

Let us know how it works out.

Hey Rachel, how's the Neo 1.6 going? We're looking to replace an aging fireplace with a wood insert and also in Victoria! Heat Savers proposed either the Neo 1.6 or a Stuv 6 - we like the look of the Stuv better, but it's almost twice the price.

Would love your insight!

Reactions: AHems
Hi everyone. We had the Neo 1.6 installed on Dec 22 and we have been loving it. We use it several times a week. It is so easy to start and burns so beautifully. It creates a lot of warmth. There has never been any issue with smoke. All it takes is a bit of kindling and newspaper to start and then it goes easily for hours with one or two logs. We love it. Can't imagine a more expensive stove would be any better.

Hi there. I am trying to decide what kind of wood burning stove insert to buy for my fireplace. I live in Victoria BC. We previously used our fireplace just for open burning, but now want to move to an insert to reduce smoke and increase efficiency. We are not planning to use it primarily as a source of heat - more just for being cozy around the fire on those long winter rainy evenings and weekends. Our main floor where the fireplace will be is about 1300 square feet. Our firebox is fairly small so we are limited to smaller units.

We have done some research and narrowed it down to three options. I would love to hear anyone's experience with either of these options (positive or negative):
The pacific energy Neo 1.6 insert (6.5K)
The regency classic i1150 (8.4K)
The lopi answer (9.2K)

As far as I can see from my research they are all pretty comparable in their functionality. If so, I think we will get the Neo 1.6 since it is much less expensive and locally made on Vancouver Island. My main concern is not having smoke in the house, and the Neo sounds like it is pretty good for this as long as installed and used correctly.

I would appreciate any input from other users! Thank you, Rachel
Cant go wrong with PE. Love my Vista and PE has great customer service. Customer service is very important to me.

My firebox is also 1.6.try putting 4 splits on longer burn time. I can get 4-6 out of the Vista when loaded properly. You really want to get the temp up for good secondary combustion.

Last edited: