By-Pass Control Rod separated from By-Pass Plate

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

JWP

Nov 12, 2018
Waynesboro, Virginia
I own a 2001 Fireplace Xtrordinair Zero Clearance Wood burning Fireplace Model 44 Elite. Recently the two prongs of the by-pass control rod separated from the two protrusions on top of the by-pass plate. Don't ask me how. Seems physically impossible, but they have. Neither the local dealer from whom I purchased the unit, our local independent fireplace expert, nor Travis Industries (after repeated emails) will help me with my problem. Thanks a lot. So, I'm on my own here. I've been able to reach up into the unit and get one of the rods to fit back into one of the protrusions but not both. And, of course, that one rod easily becomes separated again from the plate as soon as the plate it moved in and out. Anybody out there had this problem before? Were you able to fix it? If so, I'd love to hear how. Thanks. JW

Take the plate out and clean inside of the sockets that the rod forks insert in. Ash gets compacted in there like steel. It even takes drill bit sometimes to clean it all the way to the bottom.
Getting the fork back in is difficult, but possible. Do the other baffle parts look ok?

Take the plate out and clean inside of the sockets that the rod forks insert in. Ash gets compacted in there like steel. It even takes drill bit sometimes to clean it all the way to the bottom.
Getting the fork back in is difficult, but possible. Do the other baffle parts look ok?

Also, we have a few guys who ARE familiar with that unit and can fix anything. :)

Pictures! We need pictures!

There's a lot of people here who aren't familiar with that unit but who can fix anything.

This is a photo of my rod fork. I don't yet have a photo of my plate but here's a photo of one like mine, only smaller.

Attachments

• IMG_0589.jpg
    IMG_0589.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 262
  • fullsizeoutput_1919b.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_1919b.jpeg
    104.9 KB · Views: 256
Also, we have a few guys who ARE familiar with that unit and can fix anything. :)

Do I understand correctly that I take the plate out by removing the six screws beneath it? I've tried loosening those screws and been successful. After that I can clean out/drill out any ash in the sockets. Tell me more about how to get the fork back in place. I'm hoping I can line it up with the screws pretty loose -- and the space between the plate sockets and the rod forks wide enough to get them aligned -- and then tighten the screws and inserting the two elements. Is that how it's done? I don't know what the other baffle parts are. Thanks.

Do I understand correctly that I take the plate out by removing the six screws beneath it? I've tried loosening those screws and been successful. After that I can clean out/drill out any ash in the sockets. Tell me more about how to get the fork back in place. I'm hoping I can line it up with the screws pretty loose -- and the space between the plate sockets and the rod forks wide enough to get them aligned -- and then tighten the screws and inserting the two elements. Is that how it's done? I don't know what the other baffle parts are. Thanks.
I’m not sure what screws you are removing? I don’t recall any screws in the baffle assembly.
When I’ve worked on the bypass the cat was out too if I remember correctly. I’ll look at the burning display we have at the shop tomorrow.