By Pass Handle on Blaze King hard to put back to open position when cold

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AKcabin

Nov 21, 2022
I'm new to this site, so I'm sorry if this has been discussed already. When the Blaze King is hot, the by-pass handle easily moves into closed position, but when I want to start it back up and it's cold, the handle sticks and is really hard to turn back to the open position. Has anyone else had this issue? I don't know how old the stove is, it came with a house I bought.

Lubricating the bypass mechanism is something that many of us do every year when we sweep the chimney. It will help prevent stiction like you are feeling. The tension of the bypass rod holding the plate closed can also be adjusted at the same time. I would live yours first and then adjust the tension if needed.

Reactions: AKcabin
Lubricating the bypass mechanism is something that many of us do every year when we sweep the chimney. It will help prevent stiction like you are feeling. The tension of the bypass rod holding the plate closed can also be adjusted at the same time. I would live yours first and then adjust the tension if needed.
Thank you very much.

In my last sentence I meant to write that I would “lube” yours first and then adjust the tension if needed. Typo!
Thanks, that's what I figured. What do you use for the handle, and do you have to dismantle the handle first, or can you do it without taking it apart?

Thanks, that's what I figured. What do you use for the handle, and do you have to dismantle the handle first, or can you do it without taking it apart?
The handle stays put. You’ll lift the flue off of the stove to access the tension adjustment mechanism and the lube point. Both are right on top of the closed bypass.

Can you confirm which Princess model you have? Thee are different designs.

Thanks
BKVP

Can you confirm which Princess model you have? Thee are different designs.

Thanks
BKVP
Good point. With the new BK specific forum we could get really old ones in here.

Late to the party, new job. I suspect BKVP has been in direct touch with the OP. For future search button users, any of the high temp lubes from NAPA are fine. A 4oz jar will last the rest of your life.