bypass vs mixing valve for return protection

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If that gaget could take the heat, it would be interesting to sneak in through the cyclone and see what's going on in there.

You probably have the 511 then. Even easier to change, just unscrew the brass plug on the bottom of the valve and the tsat just drops out.

http://www.danfoss.com/North_Americ...511/ee5d19e5-62f8-42a7-bc0d-0f8ad81164e7.html

That does look like mine, and mine does have the nut on the bottom. Maybe there is hope! Although the chart shows 140f as the max for boiler return. Maybe that's why I got the 140. Been so long I can hardly remember. Of course if I ordered it last month, I could hardly remember too.

That does look like mine, and mine does have the nut on the bottom. Maybe there is hope! Although the chart shows 140f as the max for boiler return. Maybe that's why I got the 140. Been so long I can hardly remember. Of course if I ordered it last month, I could hardly remember too.

You aren't going to damage anything by going with a warmer return. It will just take a little longer to get heat to your zones from cold start.

Update to my condensation issue, if anyone is interested....
FIrst of all, I removed the insulation from the pipe. Didn't really like having it there, plus I don't think it did much good. The pipe might have gained some temps, but probably not enough to make a difference.
I began to slide the ash tray out of the cyclone after I was done burning, and placed an aluminum pie pan where the tray was to catch any water dripping through the cyclone. Outside air temps have also gotten colder as most of you know. Seems like since it's colder, I see no signs of moisture. A couple times before the temps dropped, I did get a little water in the pan. One time, and only once, I had at least .25" in the pan. Since then, it's been dry. I may keep doing this for the rest of the winter. Not a big deal since I always empty the pan anyway. I did turn on the fan one time before putting the tray back in. (cough cough). Luckily not much ash laying around (cough cough).

Status
Not open for further replies.